Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Edwardsiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'm not the one who put the distributor on the spot. If people are going to rant and rave and go to the extent of posting the distributors reply on a public forum, then I think I have the right to put the buyers on the spot. It's not fun when the tables are turned.

The reason edwardsiana is at risk is because we are like a bunch of little children who want it just because it has a funky peristome.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ Feb. 16 2006,8:44)]Hey, I'm not the one who put the distributor on the spot..... I think I have the right to put the buyers on the spot.
    Brian
    Brian- I don't see anywhere in these posts where the distributor was put on the spot as you say. His/Her real name was never mentioned. The only name reference mentioned was 'Robert' and for all intent and purposes that could have been an alias to protect his/her identity. Only those individuals who are actually purchasing the plants know this person's true identity and they have not made mention of it. So the act of trying to fix a wrong with a wrong is not the adult or educated thing to do. We've lost far too many great forum members through actions like these already. We understand your intent was not malicious.

The right thing to do now is to drop this subject and continue to help those who will be receiving these plants; not persecute them. That's what these forums are intended for. To help people and create community. It's nobody's business who purchased the plants but the distributor's. How do we know that the distrbutor is not reading these posts and feeling threatened? S/he may just decide that it's not worth all this public trouble to sell these plants and then nobody will get them. I'm not a recipent of any of these seedlings, but I'm also not going to hinder another grower's opportunity. More power to them...and God bless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'm not getting an edwarsiana now, but I can tell you that when I was 13, of course I would have taken an edwardsiana anyday. I got all the cool plants I could get my hands on. It was always more important to have the rare plant than to have the necessary system it takes to grow it. I killed many plants that way.

It is one thing to successfully grow N. alata and another completely to successfully grow N. rajah. It takes experience to see the difference.

Added to all this, most people who start out at a young age are still learning basic skills such as remembering to water, keeping the cats and squirrels off of the plants, appropriate use of fertilizer, etc.

I'm not discriminating against anyone here, but I do think anyone involved in growing rare plants such as these needs to use wisdom and discretion rather than pure want. There are two basic options: a. you put together an appropriate grow chamber or greenhouse for the desired plant before buying it, or b. you pass up the opportunity and stick with plants more suited to your climate.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're 100% correct Peter. The only problem is that the newbie grower is not going to care that we are only trying to help them understand that there is 'potential' for failure with lack of appropriate growing facilities. Yes,
    they will purchase the plants regardless, probably out of "I want, I want" syndrome and so we must respect they're decision and allow them to learn from their mistakes.
    We can't make it our vocation in life to try to save every plant out there. There will always be great losses. Gosh I can remember killing 5 N. villosa plants before I got it right...and I was an experienced grower at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (philcula @ Feb. 16 2006,8:35)]...Gosh I can remember killing 5 N. villosa plants before I got it right...and I was an experienced grower at the time.
    how much are they now like some $20.00? i havent tried even one yet, but am willing to try an edwardsiana or two.
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Feb. 16 2006,10:56)]
    how much are they now like some $20.00? i havent tried even one yet, but am willing to try an edwardsiana or two.
    I wish they had been that cheap when I bought them. I paid a minimum of $80 for each plant at the time a looooooong time ago. You should try an edwardsiana. You'll never know if you're successful until you try and from what I've heard they are much easier than villosa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah thats what i heard too but wanted to wait till someone else mentioned it. to me edwardsiana looks more like an alata on steroids! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! That's a good one!

I hope some day this person who has these flowering size edwardsiana crosses them with hamata. Just think of how cool that would be.