Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Edwardsiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much are they?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] now i mean the one inch seedlings
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing colouration on that N. edwardsiana. Very nice. Very nice, indeed. Having said this, I would take a "hairy" hamata over an edwardsiana any day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of clutching at straws. It is 99% certain the material is illegally collected. You'd need flowering size edwardsiana of both sexes to have produced seed in cultivation, and I've never heard of anyone with a flowering-sized edwardsiana. However, it doesn't seem to bother plenty of collectors, I have heard of people taking cuttings of rajah, lowii and Trusmadiensis without qualm. A friend of mine was on Kinabalu a few months ago and said that, even though the rajah area is heavily protected and you must climb it with guides, there was barely a seed-head left on any of the scapes. Everyone thinks that just taking a bit is OK, but everyone does it so the effect is cumulative. Even though it's not illegal, look at what poaching has done to clipeata. I'm just pointing out a fact. The whole reason poaching is such a threat is that collectors are collectors, they HAVE to have the species they don't have. It wouldn't be such an issue if Nepenthes didn't overwhelmingly come from poor, corrupt countries with little conservation infrastructure. I think blanket bans and the whole CITES system is counter-productive, but the law is the law, even if it as an rear...But if you buy these plants, rather than trying to find ridiculous scenarios to try to impute legality, at least have the gumption and decency to admit that you don't care whether they are illegally collected or not, you'll buy them regardless because you want them...
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I did not know was that taking seed pods is NOT ilegal? I always assumed a permit was needed. Granted someone could mail themselves the seed from a distant port a lot easier than smuggling a piece of vine in their jeans through the airport. But I was always under the impression taking ANY part of a protected plant was a crime without clearance...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe we could work something out so that growers of rare species could provide documentation of their plants? That way, if someone offered edwardsiana and you thought they might be poached, you could say, "Can I see the documents for it?"

Either papers issued by the country of origin if legally collected from the wild, or papers from the nursery from which it came would work.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also found out where they're selling these babies, too bad I live in the UK! I so would pay for a plant and the necessary documents to get it over here. As for the legality of the plants, I'll stay quiet because I honestly don't know and won't dare make any assumptions.

Cheers
    Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wowwie wowwie wow! Having found out and considered the source I would not put this past the person having collected seed long ago and flowerd them... If taking a select pod or two is legal and how all the neps are getting into TC and cultivation anwyay; jacquelineae, platychilla, and new untold of stuff (hinted about last june by hamish when In did a site search on this topic). I honestly don't see what all the screaming is about now...
    I hope he saves me at least one! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To those of you who have reserved seedlings: I dropped our mystery source an e-mail to ask about availability and how they are currently grown and stuff. I have not yet gotten a reply, but was wondering if anyone here knows how the plants will be shipped and what their current conditions are? Thanks.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast