What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edwardsiana

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]all i need for a hamata is Live Spaghnum and money and i got it!

and to find one
smile_n_32.gif
i had the money and couldnt find one of the darn things.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]woah 14!!!(i still have a chance) where does he get the money for those like X Briggasna(spelling), jaqalienae, tenius, lowii and of course the upkeep of his green house!

you will have to ask him. i was only at his place breifly and we didnt discuss it nor have i asked him since. hope to visit his place again this summer and hopefully get to stick around longer

glider, yes exactly what you are saying. It looks cool so I want it, but read up on it and find out its a very hard plant to grow. But what do most youngins do? they buy it anyways, and kill it most of the time. There are a few that are abnormally intelligent and DO their homework.

rattler, Jeremiah isn't a young kid. I'm talking about the age group of 11-12 year olds in this hobby. I would most certainly NOT trust someone witt a villosa/edwardsiana, any ultrahighland plant, with that age group, unless they could prove to me they are successfully cultivating an equally difficult plant successfully.

i think you should just drop it nepenthes gracilis... but like you said, and in my own words, dont be-och about and try to get money back if it dies. thats if you wanna get one and just wanna try one...

my point with Jerremiah is he was dealing with plants in the edwardsiana class at 14ish. i really dont think that there are enough kids in the 12-13 age group that would be able to lay their hands on the funds to get these edwardsiana to make a darn bit of difference one way or the other for the individual selling them to be worried, i figure the USPS/fedex/UPS will kill off more of the seedlings that will ever wind up in the 10-12 year olds hands.

argh!!!!!!!!!! i still dont know what you have to pay for one....although its not like i can afford one(maby the other rich family members........) IM ONLY 14!!!!!!!!!!
*light-bulb* can you not say the price on the boards...?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote
all i need for a hamata is Live Spaghnum and money and i got it!

and to find one
smile_n_32.gif
i had the money and couldnt find one of the darn things.
ya that too...

f....whatever the rest of your username is, the only reason I am saying this is because I was once condemned for this. I was a young kid and couldn't handle the ultrahighland plants. I listened to the advice and I am a successful cultivator of them as of today. I speak from, gotta love this word, experience.

rattler, like I said, MOST kids at that age couldn't handle those types of plants, Jeremiah was an exception, he did his homework and is a successful at them. Lets put it this way, would you trust a 12-13 yr old, who just got into CP's with your entire collection? I sure the frig wouldn't. I know some people that have been in this hobby for a long time and still can't figure out why plants grow like this or grow like that, I'm pretty darned sure a 12 year old couldn't figure it out.

I wonder why I bother to post, its 1 against about 5 people, a never ending battle, even as legitimate as I can be no one can within reason accept anything I say about age and experience. Lets just put an infant in charge of a handgun while where at it.

NG - You're not the one selling the plants so please stop. If a 11 or 12 yr old kid can afford one and the vendor wants to sell it, so be it. It's not your place to say. You're a moderator and you're not making a very good example of yourself if you keep obsessing over this subject. Time to move on young man.

i agree with phil NG....its called "experimenting".... i tried out a newt(off topic) for a pet and it died
ghostface.gif
. i tried a tarantula but within 3 years it died. and now im with my sugar glider who is doing awesome! the moral "you never know until you try". i think i just summed everything up for ya....BATTLE ENDED!
smile.gif
(score one for GLIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
you never know a kid could provide the perfect conditons for a true highlander but he doesnt know that. he would get a bical then it would die then another lowlander and it would die...this kid wouldnt know what he had the potential for. so he goes and gets a hamata and it works and thrives for him/her. he makes cuttings and gets alot more neps and the rest is history. it reminds me of well me! i wanted to get lowlanders but i couldnt provide the night time temps so i went to intermediets. and they are perfect temps now.

lol sorry Nep G its been a long week and im probably just in an arguing mood. but point of fact a 12 year old probably could take care of my entire collection, i only am actually taking care of things maybe 15 minutes a week, the rest of the time they are on their own and im having minimal problems. actually the easy stuff is giving me more of a headache then the "difficult" species. the aristo, hamata, jac. x izumae, lowii, epiphytic Utrics ect are doing wonderfully with 15 minutes care per week. but i cant keep my freaking D. regia happy to save my life.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (philcula @ Feb. 17 2006,2:47)]NG - You're not the one selling the plants so please stop. If a 11 or 12 yr old kid can afford one and the vendor wants to sell it, so be it. It's not your place to say. You're a moderator and you're not making a very good example of yourself if you keep obsessing over this subject. Time to move on young man.
LMAO... i bet its frustrating but its buisness n....., what ever the rest of the mane is!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]NG - You're not the one selling the plants so please stop. If a 11 or 12 yr old kid can afford one and the vendor wants to sell it, so be it. It's not your place to say. You're a moderator and you're not making a very good example of yourself if you keep obsessing over this subject. Time to move on young man.

Odd way to treat the voice of wisdom... NepG and I are similar in age; our collections are radically different. He was given advice, followed it, and reaped the rewards. He is right to hand that advice on to the next generation.

I wish I had had that kind of sense a few years back. At one point I had a 50 gallon tank full of nepenthes in my room, under the window. No lights. Nobody ever told me that I needed certain conditions, and it was a long time before I realized myself. I accepted several nice nepenthes from a generous guy who was dissolving his collection at the time, and looking back, I certainly didn't have a good home for them. If I had a buck to spare, I would choose to spend it on plants rather than the equipment needed to house them properly. So I learned the hard way how to grow every single plant I grow now.

I hope the seller is being wise in his choice of customers. I also hope every customer will have a good reason for whatever the condition of their plants a few years from now. I'm not going to tell anyone how I think they should do it, but we should all be aware that genetic material does not have a monetary value. Acres of rainforest are destroyed everyday by "frustrating business"

Peter

Rattler,
Actually I would not be surprised if D. regia(unless it's 'Big Easy') is harder for most than N. edwardsiana would be.
I know most of us who have grown neps for a while have a phase to get any rare or cool new plant they don't have(some people never leave this phase, lol), but I like seeing well-grown plants, no matter what they are. Somebody in Hawaii(was it Rainforest?) had a pic of a ventrata grown outside that looked like a shrub.

Cheers,

Joe

ok Joe, how bout D. venusta, that bugger is sitting and pouting too after doing great for 8 months or so. all my other african dews growing beside it(except for regia) are doing wonderfully.

Ok, I'll drop it because I'm mature, and let your opinion be correct, even though I tried to be judicious.

You're a moderator and you're not making a very good example of yourself if you keep obsessing over this subject.

Obessing and discussing are two different things. Secondly, moderator or not, I will voice my opinion when I darn well please it and thirdly, I'm glad I'm not a vendor of these edwardsiana seedlings because I obviosly don't know what I'm talking about and I would sell every last seedling to all immature kids and hope every one of them dies and perishes a horrible death.

For chirst's sake, did you listen to what I said, I took the advice years ago to wait until i was older and more experienced...oh crap theres that darned word again.... and then I went to the highland species.

Bottom line is to everyone else thats been following this topic, wait, get experience...darn I love that word and then move to the harder plants, don't waste your money on something that will not likely survive in less than optimal care.

Don't believe a word I just said? Then tell the Nepenthes guru's such as Mike Catalani and Jeff Shafer and Tony P they know nothing, because I learned everything I now know from them.

NG - you're ranting again. Move on.

I know, its all good. Watch this topic die now.

After reading some of the latest posts in this thread, thought I'd post a recent listing from Slashdot, dated February 13:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Mz6 writes "According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time. "That's how flame wars get started," says psychologist Nicholas Epley of the University of Chicago, who conducted the research with Justin Kruger of New York University. "People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," says Epley. The researchers took 30 pairs of undergraduate students and gave each one a list of 20 statements about topics like campus food or the weather. Assuming either a serious or sarcastic tone, one member of each pair e-mailed the statements to his or her partner. The partners then guessed the intended tone and indicated how confident they were in their answers. Those who sent the messages predicted that nearly 80 percent of the time their partners would correctly interpret the tone. In fact the recipients got it right just over 50 percent of the time."

I know I've been guilty of this once or twice.

Just FYI.

I've got some questions about growing edwardsiana. Hopefully those of you who grow plants with similar needs (burbigeae, villosa, lowii) can tell me something. I know from what the vendor told me that these plants need 50-55°F temps every night and I'm guessing they'd need around 70 during the day? The one thing I can't find for most plants is a soil recipe. Only a few species have detailed information on specific soils they like. I know edwardsiana needs it to be very pure in terms of salts and minerals, but what else? Anybody know something that works for most Kinabalu species?

-D. Lybrand

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Feb. 17 2006,5:38)]...I'll drop it because I'm mature...
...and thirdly, I'm glad I'm not a vendor of these edwardsiana seedlings because I obviosly don't know what I'm talking about and I would sell every last seedling to all immature kids and hope every one of them dies and perishes a horrible death.

For chirst's sake, did you listen to what I said, I took the advice years ago to wait until i was older and more experienced...oh crap theres that darned word again.... and then I went to the highland species.

Bottom line is to everyone else thats been following this topic, wait, get experience...darn I love that word and then move to the harder plants, don't waste your money on something that will not likely survive in less than optimal care.  

Don't believe a word I just said? Then tell the Nepenthes guru's such as Mike Catalani and Jeff Shafer and Tony P they know nothing, because I learned everything I now know from them.
dont try to be mature by stating it, just keep it to yourself.

so how many plants have you killed to gain that... um whats that word... experience?

Back