What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edwardsiana

thanks Phil, i finally did get a couple pm's. i know who i would like to purchase one but i dont think they have chimed in on this thread. course that kinda selfish of me cause im planning on heading his direction this summer and would get to see it in person
smile_n_32.gif

I don't know if that is directed at me in particular Philcula, but I will post a reply to you.

I'm not trying to screen out anyone or telling who this guy should sell to or not, I don't even know who he is. All I'm saying is, that whomever the vendor is, he should be responsible enough to sell the plants to a good home, where they can be raised correctly. Do you honestly think I would sell 2 N. edwardsiana seedlings to a 13 yr old kid that just bought his first N. alata?! You've got to be kidding me if you would do that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Feb. 15 2006,9:41)]Do you honestly think I would sell 2 N. edwardsiana seedlings to a 13 yr old kid that just bought his first N. alata?! You've got to be kidding me if you would do that!
It shouldn't make a difference whether it is a 13 year old kid or a 45 year old man. I was twelve when I started growing, but that doesn't mean I didn't know what I was doing. Kids can read, too. I saved up lots of money to buy plants and could've had a villosa or a hamata (back then everyone said it was impossible to grow on Wistuba's forum) but I didn't because I knew the conditions they needed and I also knew I didn't have them. If a 13 year old kid has perfect conditions for edwardsiana, knows how to take care of one, and is able to shell out that kind of cash, why not let 'im have at it? I realize that if someone just bought their first nep, edwardsiana probably isn't a good choice, but I still don't think we should judge growers based on age or years growing. Both are (in most cases) completely irrelevant.

-D. Lybrand

P.S.- I'm not a 13 year old kid or a 45 year old man, I don't have the right conditions to grow edwardsiana, and I'm most certainly not gonna buy one!

Well, I'm past 45.  Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to grow plants because I have fewer years left on this planet than most of you?

Come on, people.  Demanding "qualifications" of growers seems a bit much.  Of course, a greedy person would never lie about his growing experience, right?

Apparently the source of these plants is limiting the number of plants one person can buy.  IMHO, this seems like the best way to insure thay will be divided among numerous growers and thus ensure the largest number will thrive.

End of my rant,
KPG

Well, if it was a botanical garden trying to disperse them so all the eggs were not in one basket in case of a accident, that's one thing.
But seeing how it is a vendor(as NG said, though his operation changed directions in Nov.), I don't think you can legally tell somebody their $$ are not as valid as this person's.
I am 41 and have been growing longer than NG has been alive, but he definitely has more experience with highland neps than I do. So what is experienced?
I beleive Tent mentioned that he knew they were TC, so down the road, we may all have a hot with no guilt attached anyway...

Cheers,

Joe

Thank you D. Lybrand, killerplantsguy, and Joe for being the voices of reason. At least someone out there sees the irrelevance of screening. It makes one come off as an elitist.

Nep. gracilis - my comment was not directed at you personally. I was making a general statement in the event more people started chiming in to support the screening idea.

Oh yeah....I'm 44 and have been growing for 33 years

Ugh only 33 years Phil? I dont know if this will qualify you for a N. edwardsiana. Expecially since you started when you were 11. Maybe eventually your resume will be good enough.

LOL Wolf!
smile_m_32.gif

At this stage in my development the only thing I want is to keep what I have alive and thriving....and to stop creaking when I get out of bed every morning!

Hey, I'm not the one who put the distributor on the spot.  If people are going to rant and rave and go to the extent of posting the distributors reply on a public forum, then I think I have the right to put the buyers on the spot.  It's not fun when the tables are turned.

The reason edwardsiana is at risk is because we are like a bunch of little children who want it just because it has a funky peristome.

Brian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ Feb. 16 2006,8:44)]Hey, I'm not the one who put the distributor on the spot..... I think I have the right to put the buyers on the spot.
Brian
Brian- I don't see anywhere in these posts where the distributor was put on the spot as you say. His/Her real name was never mentioned. The only name reference mentioned was 'Robert' and for all intent and purposes that could have been an alias to protect his/her identity. Only those individuals who are actually purchasing the plants know this person's true identity and they have not made mention of it. So the act of trying to fix a wrong with a wrong is not the adult or educated thing to do. We've lost far too many great forum members through actions like these already. We understand your intent was not malicious.

The right thing to do now is to drop this subject and continue to help those who will be receiving these plants; not persecute them. That's what these forums are intended for. To help people and create community. It's nobody's business who purchased the plants but the distributor's. How do we know that the distrbutor is not reading these posts and feeling threatened? S/he may just decide that it's not worth all this public trouble to sell these plants and then nobody will get them. I'm not a recipent of any of these seedlings, but I'm also not going to hinder another grower's opportunity. More power to them...and God bless.

Hey, I'm not getting an edwarsiana now, but I can tell you that when I was 13, of course I would have taken an edwardsiana anyday. I got all the cool plants I could get my hands on. It was always more important to have the rare plant than to have the necessary system it takes to grow it. I killed many plants that way.

It is one thing to successfully grow N. alata and another completely to successfully grow N. rajah. It takes experience to see the difference.

Added to all this, most people who start out at a young age are still learning basic skills such as remembering to water, keeping the cats and squirrels off of the plants, appropriate use of fertilizer, etc.

I'm not discriminating against anyone here, but I do think anyone involved in growing rare plants such as these needs to use wisdom and discretion rather than pure want. There are two basic options: a. you put together an appropriate grow chamber or greenhouse for the desired plant before buying it, or b. you pass up the opportunity and stick with plants more suited to your climate.

Peter

You're 100% correct Peter. The only problem is that the newbie grower is not going to care that we are only trying to help them understand that there is 'potential' for failure with lack of appropriate growing facilities. Yes,
they will purchase the plants regardless, probably out of "I want, I want" syndrome and so we must respect they're decision and allow them to learn from their mistakes.
We can't make it our vocation in life to try to save every plant out there. There will always be great losses. Gosh I can remember killing 5 N. villosa plants before I got it right...and I was an experienced grower at the time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (philcula @ Feb. 16 2006,8:35)]...Gosh I can remember killing 5 N. villosa plants before I got it right...and I was an experienced grower at the time.
how much are they now like some $20.00? i havent tried even one yet, but am willing to try an edwardsiana or two.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Feb. 16 2006,10:56)]
how much are they now like some $20.00? i havent tried even one yet, but am willing to try an edwardsiana or two.
I wish they had been that cheap when I bought them. I paid a minimum of $80 for each plant at the time a looooooong time ago. You should try an edwardsiana. You'll never know if you're successful until you try and from what I've heard they are much easier than villosa.

yeah thats what i heard too but wanted to wait till someone else mentioned it. to me edwardsiana looks more like an alata on steroids!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

LOL! That's a good one!

I hope some day this person who has these flowering size edwardsiana crosses them with hamata. Just think of how cool that would be.

All I'm saying is that the seedlings should be given to respect and responsible growers. Maybe its just me but if a kid just bought his first plant, whether it be a VFT or Nepenthes, I would most certainly NOT sell that individual a rare Highland Nepenthes. I just can't believe you folks would. Then, picture this, have an email weeks later telling me how I was a bad vendor, and the plant died and this individual child wanted his/her money back because the plant didn't live.

I'll stick to people with the intelligence and responsibility, I've even traded with younger members on the forum here, and I'm sorry but they aren't reliable. Experience is almighty I'm sorry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'll stick to people with the intelligence and responsibility, I've even traded with younger members on the forum here, and I'm sorry but they aren't reliable. Experience is almighty I'm sorry.

and where would you place Jerremiah H.? it surprised the hell out of me when i actually met him. i hadnt actually paid attention to his age here on the forums. he was 17 when i met him last summer. he has been success fully growing rajah since he was about, what? 14. hell im 24 and dont even remotely consider myself quallified to attempt edwardsiana, though if i had more room i would have a setup that could easily provide the nessisary conditions. but under present circumstances i wont attempt it. i learned a long time ago age doesnt count for everything either and a person with the right mindset can accomplish alot at 15 that someone at 30 may not be nessisarily be ready to attempt. mindset is everything, and while age and experiance helps they are far from a reliable factor.

is N edwardsiana harder to grow than N macrophylla or Villosa? isnt it supposed to get HUGE! from what your saying NG amature growers just want the 'cool" looking plants when they havent even read up on them. when i first started this i wanted a villosa, eyame, hamata and inermis
smile_n_32.gif
. but when i read up on them....they were WAY out of my league at the time. BTW they are getting so close i can smell them!! all i need for a hamata is Live Spaghnum and money and i got it!
smile.gif

woah 14!!!(i still have a chance) where does he get the money for those like X Briggasna(spelling), jaqalienae, tenius, lowii and of course the upkeep of his green house!

Back