What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to find female Nep's?

<span style='color:teal'>Hello!
smile.gif

I am looking to obtain a female Nepenthes, well maybe like most of us.

I remember to have seen somewhere a place where they have females for sale. But i cannot remember where it was.

Does anybody know where i can find  females Nep's in the USA?

Thanks,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

What species/hybrid females are you looking for?

Of my Neps who've flowered only one has been a female: N. aristolochioides x thorelii. It flowers almost continuously once the vine gets a couple feet long and that doesn't take too long even in highland conditions where I grow it. I will be test firing a few cuttings in the lowland chamber under halides and see how they perform.

Hi Jorge,
I think the real N. alata we're sending you is a female.
The "fake" N. alata you have (really N. ventrata) is also female, but sterile.
Some clones are known females, like N. splendiana (soon to be offiically 'Splendid Diana') and she flowers frequently.
Also floating aroung are cuttings of known females like: N. wrigleyana, N. rokko, N. Balmy Koto, N. Dreamy Koto, and many others that aren't coming to mind right now. There are also males from some of the same crosses, which makes things a little confusing, but the grower of the particlar plant may know the gender.
The best places to find female Nepenthes are from the growers/breeders.

I randomly received two female neps - campanulata and truncata x ventricosa. I got both from Tony.

My tentaculata cutting is now sending up a spike (trade with Jeremiah), so I am actually hoping it turns out to be male!

<span style='color:teal'>Hello guys!
smile.gif

Swords:  Iam looking for any species or hybrid... As long as the plant is female... Ido not mind in the species
smile.gif

Trent as usual, letaly, you gys are always saving my life and my quests  
smile_m_32.gif
The true alata is possibly a female? Good! Thanks once again. So, the ventrata "alata" are sterile? Ohh... Well this makes me more upset about the confution on mislabelling.  
mad.gif

Schloaty: So, Tony can know which of his plants are female and male? Thank you for the info... I'll contact Tony  
smile.gif

Thank you for all your help, guys
smile.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

There's no way to tell until flowering if a Nep is gonna be male or female, what he meant is two just happened to be female.

Maybe if one plant was really slow and finicky....
smile_n_32.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Schloaty: So, Tony can know which of his plants are female and male? Thank you for the info... I'll contact Tony  

No sir!  Tony didn't tell me....They have both flowered in my care and turned out to be female.

<span style='color:teal'>ohh, I see...
confused.gif

Thanks for the clarification,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

i have a female N. veitchii.....

'bout the best way to obtain female plants is to trade for cuttings of known females.

Back