User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How confident are you guys at rooting a basal...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried it on N. "Miranda" and now on N. "Emmarene". I was wondering if anyone else have tried and if there are better rooting methods. I used LFS. I found it rather difficult as the internodes are very close to each other. Reason for rooting basal shoots? Lower pitchers. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Here's a pic of my latest 'chop'.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basal shoots are pretty easy in my opinion, but I always let them grow out a bit so they already have a small root system.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dly, I've been waiting patiently for my campanulata basals to grow their own root systems....for over a year! Darn it!

Anyway, I tried to scar the sides of one of the shoot stems under the media surface...wonder if that will stimulate some root growth?

I attempted to root one of them last year, and it didn't make it. I would really like to be able to do it, as I have a (year old) outstanding promise to someone that I would send them one. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One method I use to get cuttings to root is 'magic moss'. It's just a moss that I got from my lawn and used to cover up the soil on a ventrata cutting that hadn't rooted or shown new growth for months. Within a week, a new leaf had emerged, which subsequently produced a pitcher and the plant has been doing great ever since. I'm testing it on other plants right now to see if it is really safe for Neps. I'd be glad to send you some if it is.

-D. Lybrand

EDIT: Although I used it on a cutting, I think the same would happen for basals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ Feb. 13 2006,8:25)]Basal shoots are pretty easy in my opinion, but I always let them grow out a bit so they already have a small root system.

-D. Lybrand
    What, you mean 'let them grow out' on the mother plant? (This is assuming the basal is attached to the mother plant). I don't see how they could have a root system that way. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am attempting to do this too! hope it works...
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a basal shoot, it springs up from the root system of a mother plant, but doesn't have roots of its own. After a while, it will grow them. Basal shoots will eventually separate from the mother plant by themselves. This is what I have read and also observed with plants of my own. If you are very patient, you don't actually have to do anything but pull the halves of the soil apart when you repot the plant.

-D. Lybrand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basals/cuttings seem quite simple same sort of procedure. Usually basals root better for me than sections of stem farther down the vine as basals are still soft and green.

Are you removing say the bottom 3 leaves on the sort of shoot pictured above, slitting the stem in a few places and dust the cut end with rooting hormone before placing in the mix?

Keep the soil just moist to stave off the rot. Keep in high humidity with bright lighting and only mist the leaves daily or every other day to keep it hydrated while roots form. Water the soil only to keep it from drying out totally (apx. once per week) until you see several new leaves then begin to water as you would normally.

Good luck![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast