Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ampullaria question..........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure who swords was talking to, but I should have listed my conditions. I have the minimum temp set to about 72 degrees. It was a little cooler say 67 degrees before i boosted the setting. It gets warmer during the day, but not much warmer during the cold days of winter. Although when the Santa Ana winds blow it gets into the 80s.

Last summer minimum temp was 70 degrees. Daytime can get into the 90s, but usually only a high into the mid 80s. I need to check humidity, but it was on the dry side, (40% - 70%), before I added a humidifier. My system is pretty low tech. Just a Wal-mart oil-filled radiator with a tray of water on top.

I supplement the natural light with 4 40 watt fluorescent tubes. Summer time they get some direct filtered sun light, but no direct sunlight in winter.

I currently grow bical, gracilis, insigins, northiana, rafflesiana, reinwardtiana, truncata and veitchii with no problems. The amp gets the least amount of light.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't grow amp outdoors. I've tried that and it hates it! I'm growing a few as windowsill plants and even that is a bit tough. I've had moderate success getting ampullaria to pitcher in household conditions. I believe it's one of those plants that does best in typical lowland conditions with high humidity. I'm hoping there's variation between the color forms as to how finicky they are with humidity.

How's the northiana doing? That's another one of my tricky plants trying to grow as a windowsill plant outside a terrarium. What are you doing for yours?

Joel

Nepenthes Around the House

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my northiana in the same conditions as my other lowlanders but in a position where it receives less light. It is doing fine, but stopped pitchering for about a month after repotting. It is back to pitchering now. Here's a pic of my chamber:

You can see the ampullaria in the bottom. Maybe it just needs more light?

The ampullaria:

My little northiana:

And the large cutting I am rooting, (it is already rooted, but I still keep it in its little rooting tank for now)
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I've had moderate success getting ampullaria to pitcher in household conditions. I believe it's one of those plants that does best in typical lowland conditions with high humidity
    Joel, im trying to root a tip cutting of mine. if it takes would you be interested? mine is DEFINATLY not getting lowland conditions and the humidity is about constantly 65%

it went from this single basal just starting to peak out

to this in about 4 months

plus i have about 5 nodes errupting on the portion of vine left with these basals. i took the tip cutting about a month ago
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler,
    What variety is your amp? Maybe interested. We can always talk and maybe work a trade for some of my cuttings.

SrDug,

Nice chamber. I remember growing lowlanders like that years ago. I don't want to turn my closet into a lowlander chamber again!! I have enough to do with my highlanders outdoors!! Love that cutting. Wish I could grow northiana well. It's one of my favorites.

JoelNepenthes Around the House

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its just a speckeled amp. when i find my digi camera ill post a good pic of one of the individual pitchers. i got the plant from the guy on ebay from Hawaii thats always selling neps. if i get the cutting rooted ill let yah know and we can worry about any trades or anything then. its to cold to ship now anyways and will be for another 2 months probably.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12