Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ampullaria question..........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what altitudes do these guys come from? ive got a speckled one that is doing better now that its winter and the daily highs are 75 and the nights are 50-55 that it was ever doing when i was growing it as a true lowlander with 90-95 days and 75-80 nights. i was always told they were lowlanders but this guy is acting like an intermediate/highlander
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ratler,

My specled amp is also doing very well - I have it in intermediate conditions (70's day, 60's night). I think that amps in general are fairly tollerant of temps - that said, though, they have always grown faster (not really bigger or healthier, just faster) with hot days/warm nights.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i saw some where they grow from 0-1500m so i could consider some types intermediets
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler,
    I grow the 'Cantley's Red' form in a terrarium with 60-65F nights and around 75f days, and it does pretty well. (Does get a bit warmer in the Summer)

Good growing,
    KPG
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my speckled amp in my lowland chamber hasn't pitchered in years. I tried repotting and still no pitchers. the leaves are large and healthy, but no pitchers and no basals. I even bent the stem below the pot. It just made a u-turn and started growing up. I guess I'll try it outdoors in highland conditions and see what happens.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the literature I have states 0-1000 meters so "lowland" but upper lowland altitues in a small hill forest is certainly not going to be as hot and muggy as 10 m swamp.

If you've got it lit by natural light it could be the increased light intensity of the winter sun/leafless trees. While amps do have the habit of spreading under the forest canopy in a carpet formation and being called "lowlight" they truly do appreciate nice bright lighting and will show it.

If I were you I'd try and bring that lowland chamber night temp to around 68-73 so they get a chance to cool a bit but not get cold at night, just warm and mild. I think 80 at night for too long may cook your plants and "run them ragged" with their metabolism almost as if the lights were on 24/7.

Just my thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i no longer have a lowland tank and dont really have any lowlanders other than the amp. im using 100 percent artifical light, infact i dont believe it sees any natural light at all. maybe i had the nights to warm when i had the lowland tank but ive seen an increase in growth rate the cooler its gotten, even my highlanders get 85-90 during the day in the summer some times, the amp grew fine in it its just really kicked it in gear since it really cooled off this winter.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it is true amp is lowlander they appeared to adapt well in slightly higher altitude. The same as mirabilis and gracilis. Another factor i noticed amp tend to prefer very shaded forests and bushes where sunlight penetration was minimal but their main stem growing towards the open for sunlight. Their pitchers trapping insects for nitorgen and photosynthesis by leaves. Both in balance.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast