What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher Viability

glider14

Always a newbie
ok i have noticed somthing on my ventrata with two of my proto-pitchers. on one that did not drop down, the spur was just one spike and the thing its self was a dark color from the beginning. however on my second one which is two leaves up, the spur is split into 3 with the middle one being larger and the p-p is a lighter color. i have also noticed the whole tendril is turning counter clockwise on this one. later i will see what effect this has on it. in the meantime has anyone experienced this and gotten pitchers?

What? What is p-p?

I have also noticed that you can sometimes tell when a tendril is not going to make a pitcher. Usually it just doesn't elongate. If the tendril grows out, it almost always makes a pitcher.

-D. Lybrand

p-p= proto pitcher...the first one i had elongated but then stopped so...ya it went a little more than 2 inches

The higher your humidity along with bright lighting the better chances the spur will become a hook and inflate. If a sudden temperature or humidity drop occurs it can knock a developing pitcher out of synch and it will stop inflating and dry up. Keeping your conditions constant (and keeping those fingers off the plants) will allow them to develop to their full potential.

thanks swords. hopefully it will carry it out
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Keeping your conditions constant (and keeping those fingers off the plants) will allow them to develop to their full potential.

I have a habit of touching the pitchers, sticking fingers in places I'm not suppose to be touching
smile_n_32.gif

ya i have a little problem with that to
smile_l_32.gif
but i am now trying to stop.

I know, I know! It's hard to stop playing with them, picking them up and inspecting every inch of the plant and the pot and the soil... I'm positive everyone does that at first, I know I did as well!
smile.gif

If you can cut your handling down to once every week or two when you flush the soil with water they will have more time to settle. Try and be sure you put them back in the same place each time you take them out to water. The terrarium/growing area may look the same in regards to being evenly lit to you and me but the plants know if they've been shuffled around especially under flourescents which change in intensity from the middle (brightest) to the end of the bulb (dimmest).

Have fun!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Feb. 20 2006,12:31)]Try and be sure you put them back in the same place each time you take them out to water.
I remember reading in one of my horticulture books that some plants need a 'light mark' placed on the pot to make sure you don't mess up its relative positioning to the light source. I have not heard that Nepenthes require this type of care but I wouldn't be surprised if they would also benifit from being given an unchanging position in relation to the source of light they are receiveing...I would think that because of their tendency to want to place their leaves and pitchers 'just so' to make them happy, perhaps a light mark would also benefit them. Does anyone agree with this?

I water most of my plants without ever moving them, just because I've always had a little-disturbance-as-possible approach to growing.

Yes, if you have a grow chamber setup where you can flood/flush the soil without ever moving them that's ideal. My highland and lowland chambers can be watered this way (unmoved). The plants sit on eggcrate shelves and the chamber bottoms have drains on them or are watertight with lowlight plants under the bench who take up the run off.

My lowland/propagation chamber is only a 75 gallon tank and to flush the larger plants properly they must be pulled out. If you only pull them out one at a time it's easy to know where to put them back. I'll admit, I do turn them when I put them back, so I can easily see their newest pitchers!
smile_m_32.gif

Back