What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just ordered some neps

i just ordered a n. ampullaria (green), n. sibuyanensis, and a n. macfarlanei from cooks carnivorous plants. i was just wondering how you guys and girls like these plants.
cant wait to unrap the ampullaria
smile_n_32.gif

oh i will be sure to post pics when they come

Sibuyanensis is a large and colourful plant, although some people report trouble getting it to pitcher (let the tendril bury itself in some LFS, guys!). It is one of my favourites from my collection. I don't grow the other two.

-D. Lybrand

Both the macfarlanei and sibuyanensis are highlanders and quite slow growing for me. I grow them in 50/50 shredded LFS and medium orchid bark with some charcoal added. Holds good moisture but drains real fast keeping an open and airy soil. A plastic net basket is good for the highlanders so the soil will breathe real well inbetween waterings. If you can't find them local just ebay for "net pots" you can find a million of them. I find the 3 & 4" , 6" and 10" baskets are the most useful. I pot all my personal highland plants with these.

Ampullaria green was among one of my earliest Neps and a real easy grower! Make sure you repot about yearly it as it fills it's pot with densely packed basal rosettes. Within a year if you have nice bright and humid lowland conditions with will overflow it's pot. Leave it too long in a small pot and it'll eventually start to die off by continually making basal shoots and packing itself tighter and tighter. Let the main vine stay long and you'll keep the others as a mound of pitchers and very tiny leaves (basically it'll look like pitchers sticking out of the dirt with almost no leaves) but if you cut the main vine one or more will start to elongate. Best not to use the net pots for lowlanders like ampullaria as they like it wet! A normal plastic pot will do just fine.

The only plant there that I grow is N. ampullaria and I just started growing it about two weeks ago, so I can't be of much help. It's growing alongside my N. bicals in my extra hot/humid terrarium. So far it seems to enjoy it there!

some say Macfarlanei is VERY picky on its conditions. like they said its rather slow growing. Sibuyanensis is basically a Ventricosa on steroids in terms of looks but the conditions should be like those of a highlander/intermediet. IT DOES NEED TO BURRY ITS PITCHERS!!

I have trouble with all three of those, but macfarlanei is the least trouble. It just grows slowly. I bought a 3" one from Cooks about a year ago and is just now approaching 5" with regular pitcher formation. The other two don't pitcher for me, but I have a problem providing consistant humidity since I grow my plants outdoors and have repotted and the plants may still be adjusting.

To the people who say Sibuy needs to bury its pitchers - how big are your plants? Do you keep repotting them in pots larger than their diameter or just surround it with other pots of LFS?

well you know steve that i have mine in a 8" pot. do you think i should put it in a 12" to increase local humidity and so that the tendrils touch the moss? i have mine surrounded by other neps so maybe this will help with the pitchering?

Back