Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy Nep?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to toss in a vote for x 'Miranda'. For me, this nep is even easier than ventrata.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm gonna be going with a N. ventricosa. But the thing is I don't want to have to set-up a huge tank with six bulbs on it and have to buy a mister or humidifier. I just want something I can put in a East or South or maybe even a West window for the winter months and outside for the summer and spring months. If there are none I could do this with just tell me I should not get into Neps until I have the space to do all this. Because right now in my little room I have a bird cage with 4 birds, a 29 gallon with 2 baby oscars, 55 with 3 piranhas, 20L with a turtle, 20H with 1 but soon to be more hermit crabs, 29 with a ball python, and soon a 10 with a emperor scorpion. Then I have the bed and t.v. so I really don't have space for another tank and lighting for a nep. But I do have window space for it and my other plants and like I said in the summer they go outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about thorelii x aristolochioides? tired of ventrata? should be easy to grow as ventrata. i got one.
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's the case, I would suggest not getting into Nepenthes, they need high humidity to pitcher well. It looks as though you have a VERY full plate already if youre taking care of all those other things! there is a lot of setup involved in successfully growing Nepenthes.

Ventricosa and Ventrata are two different plants, Ventrata will do well in warm lowland conditions or cool as long as it's bright and humid, Ventricosa will eventually weaken if kept in warm conditions for very long, it likes it much cooler than regular household temps at night in my experience. Many people have what they think is a "ventricosa" or "alata" (cos that's what the tag said when they bought it) but actually have the commmon hybrid between the two, Ventrata.

I would avoid aristolochioides x thorelii or any of the "hyped" neps on this board as your first plant. While it is a rapid grower in highland conditions but I'm sure it'd eventually weaken without decent highland preparations (windy, cool, bright and wet). If you wanna experiement with Nepenthes I'd choose the Ventrata as you'll only be out $15 or so if you kill it and they're so common it'd be like killing a daffodil bulb. Save the bizzare species until you have a grasp on how to grow them and how to provide the conditions they need. Miranda is a nice easy hybrid you can find at garden centers but to get it to pitcher well you need even more humidity and heat than for the Ventrata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just I want to try it and I can get one for $5.00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it! You can't lose with a $5.00 investment.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12