What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ventricosa x Aristolochioides

so far i got 2 aristo hybrids, first being thorelii x aristolochioides and ventricosa x aristolochioides.  does any one have a ventricosa x aristolochioides that has grown this plant?  is this suppose to be as easy as thorelii x aristolochioides? any details, tips, whatsoever are welcomed!

EDIT: heres a pic!
70968946O247015424.jpg

Hi fc3srx713b:

Not quite as easy as thorelli X aristolochioides, but i would treat it as a regular highlander.

Gus

Hey,
Mine is slower and touchier than thorelli x aristo, but then again everything is.
smile_m_32.gif

I'll get a pic later, but I also have never seen anything green, pitcherwise, on my plant. Your pic is a bit confusing though, as there are two plants there.

I'm growing it as a true highlander, and might try intermediate with it. It's just recovering from an infestation, though, so I'll watch it a while longer. It's pitchering and growing OK now. Mine has made basals easily, and it seems to strike from cuttings with no drama.

Capslock

yeah a basal there might be a third!

Here's the first true upper from my plant. And some lucky soul out there just received a cutting.
P1060734.jpg

That pitcher is exquisite! I LOVE the coloration along with the red peristome!

Nice plant Steve!!

Here's my ventricosa x aristolochioides. Since posting here a long time ago, I've discovered this plant is the most cold-tolerant that I have. It's been growing outdoors for me for about 16 months now, and never suffers literally unless it drops below freezing.

N-111.jpg

N-110.jpg

Capslock

WOW guys, I love that plant! Beautiful. If you ever decide to take a cutting, keep me in mind ;)

Here's mine. I just got it like... I dunno. A month or two ago. Probably two.

Reminds me of a rotting sausage. Sorry for the crappy angle. It's now got a second smaller pitcher and working on a third. Hopefully the third will be larger than the last. It really looks almost black and dead in person, even thought it's not dead at all. It's really cool to see such variation between plants.

DSC02790.jpg

Wow! That pitcher reminds me of my truncata x aristo when I first received it, but there is no mistaking those ventricosa leaves.
P1000015.jpg

I wonder if that could be a feature of the lower pitchers, with this plant having a lot of intermediate pitchers that follow the coloring of the uppers. One of the more colorful upper pitchers I have seen.

@SRD: A beautiful upper!

@Capslock: *drool....so many nice, splotchy pitchers...

@JLAP: Its so dark. Nice pitcher.
Now I really want one! Great plants everyone! I can't see the first two pictures in this thread unfortunetly. :-(

N. aristolochioides is very predominant as a parent in this hybrid!

not bad! but I still would LOVE to get the aristolocoides pure. :) Ventricosa atleast for me isn''t that "pretty" of a nep. :( Thats just what I feel. I understand many here will disagree.

DROOL at Capslock. That plant is AWESOME. I say your pick and actually said out loud "I love that plant." Then I realized I was talking to myself. :0o:

Then I read the post below where someone else said it.

I gotta get one. GOTTA.

Ditto what schloaty said... love the red speckling

Hi all:

this hybrid always intrigued me, because most aristolochioides hybrids tend to be more heat tolerant even those crossed with another highland such as sibuyanensis and spectabilis, but no this one likes cold weather, when most of us know that ventricosa likes heat during the day too.

Gus

not bad! but I still would LOVE to get the aristolocoides pure. Ventricosa atleast for me isn''t that "pretty" of a nep. Thats just what I feel. I understand many here will disagree.

It's a rather dull plant, with the exception of some of the selectively bred clones (although I'd say some of those are downright hideous) but it's great for hybridizing because it makes the offspring almost bombproof. I wouldn't have any N. aristolochioides DNA in my collection at all if it wasn't for the mother helping out.

Now we just need to cross it with another N. aristolochioides and see what happens :)

I wouldn't call sibuyanensis pure highland. As you know, Philippines neps tend to go both ways. I, as well as some others, grow sibuyanensis lowland with no problems.

Hi Ron:

As you also know that for every statement there is an exception. Although phillippino highlands tend to withstand the heat a bit more than other highland counterparts found elsewhere, there are exceptions to the rule as i would not expect a mira or argentii to grow under lowland conditions. There's so much we can stretch the phillipino species Ron, and when we say grow well, meaning:

1) the plant has not die yet or it looks OK but without pitchers or with reduced size pitchers
2) the plant is growing well and producing regular size pitchers proportional to the leaves

also the higher the plant is found the more highland it becomes whether it is the phillippines or papua new guinea

Gus

1) the plant has not die yet or it looks OK but without pitchers or with reduced size pitchers
This can be thrown out unless you have specific averages of multiple measurements taken at various stages of growth for multiple plants, with multiple leaf sizes, in various conditions....which I'm assuming you don't have....

As you also know that for every statement there is an exception
Agreed. And with your statements at least, truncata is an exception. "Highland" truncata will grow quite well under lowland conditions...there is no disputing this. Have you grown a "highland" truncata outside in 100+ degrees for 4 months (and 80+ for an additional 2) with under 20% humidity every day? I have. Pitchers (and leaves) were not reduced, and actually got progressively larger (as they should). Ironically, you know what killed it? COLD! I know you might say "six months isn't a good enough time frame", but trust me, it is, especially with humidity that low. I have no clue what conditions you have, but I'm sure other lowland growers (even those with higher humidity) can back me up with the fact that a highland plant won't do good (not even making smaller leaves) in pure lowland conditions for 6 entire months, then randomly die out of nowhere ;)
I realize I'm getting quite descriptive, but I feel it necessary, save you bring up some random point I perhaps haven't covered, forcing me to spend time explaining things on the contrary.

Back