Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N.bauensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last weekend me and my buddies located another location in Bau where bauensis (gracilis x northiana) thrives,probably the only place here and in the world.Searching the area we managed to locate 5 matured plants, considering the vast area. They have 2 variation-slightly yellowish and red but both displaying the peristome of northiana. The shallow pools of water is also rich in plant life,probably utricularia.From the pix what do u see,any comment?

The habitat ,taken 7.ooam,note the heavy mist before the sun appears.It was blocked by the hills behind.

from another angle and location

aquatic plants

2 colors variation of bauensis

northiana pitchers located here is slightly more reddish

other comments - flora associated here, to name some-orchids(bromheadia,spathoglottis sp,arudinda,jewel orchid ),begonia and one-leaf plant,ferns,etc .weather-strictly lowland/hill-below 1000ft , hot,humid, cool/misty night,flooded when it rains.

Robert [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic, Robert![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

The nights do appear to cool off a bit from the way the mist hangs low over the hills. At 7 am, what temperature would you guess? Humidity is certainly 90 percent+
    Have you looked closely at the root system of the northiana to see what it is growing in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trent - roots system-fine roots are shallow embeded on loose decay leaves,the main root penetrating crack lines of limestone to gain foothold.Very fragile indeed and have to be very careful when moving the pitchers or leaves.

As it's inland night temp.during hot/dry season can lingers around 28 C, wet/rainy season night temp around 23C.Day temp in Bau limestone is no different with other lowland area.

Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That red northiana is just killing me! I've come back to that picture several times this morning! One of the most beautiful of all Nepenthes...and most difficult to grow in cultivation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed Trent. Robert, once again, truly inspriational photos! Thank you a million times for posting them!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Robert! Your contribution to the forums is priceless!

Cheers
    Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,thanks for the reply. Trent i suspect the difference between captivity is the condition the roots beneath received from limestone-alkalinity,calcium carbonate.Just my thought.

Another northiana having all red peristome in the same locality but I didn't see any different in the growing condition.It's mind boggling [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow those are fantastic shots (and good info about the substrate of northiana)! You're so lucky to be able to wander outside and take photos like that! I Can't wait to see shots of your next trip! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast