What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Fast Has Your Campanulata flowered??

glider14

Always a newbie
So i have been hearing that N. Campanulata flowered when it was extremly young. How fast/early has yours flowered?
Glider

I've had mine for about 4 years and done all my normal flower initiating procedures, raising close to the lights or "forgetting" to water, a combo of the two, changing lights, giving a few nights in the highland chamber... and it still won't expose itself to me yet!
laugh.gif

I've recently been thinking of giving it a very light dose of Cal/Mag reef aquarium supplement in a soil flush to see if it's the limestone that it's missing. Since I only use pure RO water and occasional orchid fertilizers (which contain no Ca or Mg) and occasional small prey item.

I understood nothing about all what you were speaking!
smile.gif

confused.gif

me or swords?

If it was me, those things I described can help initiate flower spikes in orchids and have seemed to coincide with my other Neps flowering so I have tried these things with my N. campanulata to spur flowering but it did not have the effect.

High potassium fertilizer is also supposed to encourage flowering.

Mine flowered twice when it was about 4" across during February 2005. Mine suffered a major setback after that. It has only recently put out newer leaves with pitchers.

Condition and size when flowering.
camp_flowering_080205_rs.jpg

After that.
smile_h_32.gif
 The pink star is where the flowering stem was. The black spider is a new basal shoot but the newer leaves were getting smaller and smaller)
camp031005.jpg

Generally, N. campanulata does not react well to flowering when young. My advice would be for you to remove the flower stalks if it flowers too soon.

Cindy: how young was it when it flowered for the first time? and can you tell wether it is male or female? and what happened to the leaves. i see a growth point but did the leaves just all die off?

I can't tell how young the plant was but it was 4 inches across the whole plant when it flowered. The flower buds did not open so I couldn't tell what gender it was. Almost all the leaves turned brown and I attempted to take a cutting but failed. The plant remained in that bad state for about 5 months.

Man SWORDS!
You are telling me also something that I had already noticed with Nepenthes...I had a friend who treated his Nepenthes ventrata very bad forgetting about her to give water and letting her lie on the floor to weather conditions...one time the ventrata was pratically for 2 days under the water! Man....a mass....
smile_h_32.gif

But this nepenthes before dying has developed a flower! Also this to other friends of mine...
In effectly my friend not caring about his nepenthes has naturally encouraged flowering!
I think that even in the Borneo and Malesia where Nepenthes live...they have some little changes of weather and light...even minimal and this encourages flowering!
This also could explaine why Nepenthes are so sensitive to be moved around in the house!
I am sure! yeah! Great Swords!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hi,

I got a specimen (in September 2003) which was just over 2 inches in diameter, and it flowered one year later when it was 4 inches across. I have no idea how old the plant was when I got it.

Regards,

Christer

Mr Aga: how has your pollination been going? any signs of fertilization yet?
christerb:do you still have yours? did it deteriorate like cindy's did?
alex

Glider14,
Wrong topi here,ehhehe!
We are talking about Nep. Campanulata in Spike.
Anyway...I will not know if the seeds are fertile UNTIL I will not put them on wet sphagnum!
Maybe it could be sterile.I hope not...let's need the time to discover is Nep. ventrata female is sterile.
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Alex,

It is still alive, and flowered again late last year. Maybe it produced fewer pitchers while it was flowering, but nothing serious as it bounced back after that. First time I had no pollen available, and the second time I got sent some but it didn't take, maybe next time.

Regards,

Christer

villosa_bad0.jpg

villosa_bad.jpg

My Nepenthes villosa that was untill end of November 2005 outside while snowing....but that now is in terrarium...did develope something similar...could it have some connections with the campanulata spike flower?
It is just a malformation or a failed retry to develope a flower spike even the plant is very young? (maybe because some months ago it changed drastically weather conditions?
The plant itself is growing very well as you can check from pitchers and new leafes!
Second photo is a zoomed particular taken the same day.
Thanks

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Back