What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More highlander questions

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Nepenthes stenophylla. Is this an ultra or can it be grown intermediately too?
If Hamatas were not so expencive I would try one of those and grow it like Elgecko does as a windowsil plant.
I am still looking so more questions to come.

Thanks Glider!!

I had the typical info given by the sellers of the plants, but I want real world experiences of people with these plants. I just knwo from growing other plants that the liturature will say one thing, but the plant will do just fine growing in totaly different culture as well. so thats basicly what I am going for. Want other experiences with the plants. Because almost all the liturature will say that Elgecko shouldn;t be able to grow his Hamata like he does, but from the pictures he is doing a bang up job. The plan looks nice.

Those sites are very informative. Thank you again Glider.

A windowsill hamata?!

I've yet to try a highlander - just 4 lowlanders here, with one growing well in a windowsill (though producing smaller pitchers than I know it could in a terrarium). Do highlanders generally do better under household conditions? I got the impression they were a lot harder than lowlanders!

As long as you harden the plant off to the conditions you want it in, generally they will accept it IF you do it slowly and in the right method. IN regards to N. stenophylla, it is a typical highlander and should be tolerant of warmer conditions. I've had no trouble with it.

Just to through out some info on some plants.

Looks like N. stenophylla has a large range in nature: 1000M-2600M

N. rafflesiana: 0M-1200M

N. hamata: 1400M-2500M

Here's a discussion that was back in Jan. about my N. hamata with some pics.
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....98;st=0

A plant I would really like to grow is N. villosa. 2400M-3200M I would not try this plant as a windowsill plant, unless I got one for trade somewhere. I think as high an altitude it grows, it would need a temp drop.

Here's a link I use for altitude of neps.
http://www.cpjungle.com/nuspecies.htm

Thanks everyone for the info. Its sometimes a crap shoot if one will be able to grow some plants or not, but I like to get some info before spending the money and then killing an expencive plant. I'm like Elgecko. I will be more apt to experiment with a traded plant then a bought plant.. Thanks again!

Back