What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Villosa MALFORMATION PHOTOS

Hello to everyone!
My same villosa that was outside home end November 2005 while it was snowing and that now lives in terrarium has developed a strage leaf....or...?
The plant during those 3 months has grown very nice and quickly and always more better ( just check the leafes and the last pitcher in the photo) but the leafes that came out are simply strange...
I zoomed the part of the villosa and it seems like a failed retry to develope a flower spike? Even if plant is very young? Can it be? The dark point doesn't look at like a leaf...some genical error in cellular duplication?!? What could it be...and why those strange things happen sometimes even the plant is really nice growing?
Could it be maybe a remote past cause of drastically weather change?
A malformation of meristematic cellular division?
The plant was maybe dooped or trated too intensly with osmocote?
I cannot give me and answer..some of you have experinces in malformations?
There could be come argument connections with the recently campanulata's spike topic
confused.gif

Here are the pics!
Let me know

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

It looks like a blind shoot. This happens when the embryonic leaves are subject to inappropriate conditions, and fail to develop properly. Most of the time, the growing point will fail and a secondary shoot will develop.

Well SydneyNeps,
in my situation the Nep. villosa is really actually growing fine!
Just look at the last 2 leafes and last developing pitcher!
It is more big and the plant isn't suffering.
I could more think about past effect...maybe because very cold weather of end November 2005?
I moved villosa from very cold weather ( the plant was not suffering whe it was moved) to warm terrarium.

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

That happenned to my ovata. I thought it was due to too wet of a soil. It may just have been the colder temps and direct sun causing the "blind shoot". Months after repotting it has two basals and two shoots, yippeee!
before:
ovata.jpg

after:
ovata2.jpg

Should probably update this as it is looking even better.

Yup, just a damaged leaf like Hamish said, don't be too extreme on it now Mr. Aga!
smile.gif

One of my Home Depot Neps is going through the same thing. I gave it some pretty bad conditions for a while and now it has that "blind shoot" going on. Hopefully it'll recover!

Wow srduggins!
This photo of the ovata makes really "sense"....should be also some sort of "bad programming and duplications of cells" in the leaf...
Really interesting your picture. By the way I have also ovata, but more littler and it has been the only plant to request more light than the other 10 I have in my terrarium for succed to develope traps!
If some of you have similar experiences , other comments are really welcome.

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Feb. 26 2006,10:21)]That happenned to my ovata. I thought it was due to too wet of a soil. It may just have been the colder temps and direct sun causing the "blind shoot". Months after repotting it has two basals and two shoots, yippeee!
before:
ovata.jpg

after:

Should probably update this as it is looking even better.
Srduggins,

the reason for this misbuilt growth is a heavy mite infection your plant has. They live inside the growth point of the plant and couse this strange growth. Reasonable healthy plants can cope with this infection when all other factors are right. But during stress in summer when temperatures are too hot affected plants will look like yours. Try a good miticied to get rid of this pest.

One of my N. hamata had the same problem few years ago:

http://home.arcor.de/j.danz/N_hamata_f.html

Good luck

Joachim

Joachim, would that be a sipdermite or another type of mite? I think my N. hamata and other Nepenthes may have them but no wheres near a visable size! Would Neem Oil be a good idea?

Leaf spot fungi can also cause problems seen in the N. ovata. From the picture it looks to me like that might be the case as the rest of the plant is showing alot of symptoms.

As for the N. villosa Mr. Aga, the growth point died probably as a result of going into a much warmer wetter climate. Whether it was purely the climate change or a combination of that and perhaps a pathogen that attacked the very young leaves is hard to say but it doesn't appear to cause continued concern as they look hard and dry and the rest of the plant appears healthy. It should sprout a new lateral shoot in time, just be careful not to keep it overly wet or let water sit in the center of the plant.

Tony

Hi srduggins:

Have you checked the roots of the plant. I had the same problem with one of my plants several years ago and it was root rot. It would not hurt to lift carefully the plant from the soil and check the roots. If it's root rot you'll see the main root being black without secondary hair-like roots or just a little piece of the root still being attached to the rest of the leaves.

Spider mites in deformed leaves, well IMO, I never assume that unless i see them crawling around the plant. A magnifying glass should be enough to detect these pests. In most cases, if you don't see them, they just aren't there. Leaf damage is caused mostly by fungus especially when the plants are growing indoors.

Gus

Wow! With all these diseases how could my plant have possibly survived. This happened within a year of moving it from indoors to outdoors in a tank with no lid.

I detected no sign of spider mites, I kinda assumed Joachim was talking about a different kind of mite that lives inside the plant as opposed to spider mites which live on the plant.

The plant was definitely growing in some rotten sphagnum and benefitted greatly from repotting and treatment with Physan-20 which is a "broad range disinfectant, fungicide, virucide, and algaecide." So regardless of root rot or virus or fungus, this would have helped. Now if it is mites, I should probably treat it with something else, but it seems to be growing pretty good. Should I give it a second treatment? Or a third?

I also heard it can happen with TC plants like this one.

Is that the most current photo Steve?

It doesn't look like a TC issue. The plants you see with TC problems almost never grow correctly. The leaves are all funky and the pitchers are consistently deformed.

If it looks like it is coming around then I would just leave it and see how things progress. Overdoing chemicals isn't necessarily the answer either, particularly when trying to randomly treat an issue that could be caused by a number of different things.

Just a side note the physan 20 would only help against external pests/diseases.

Tony

Tony Paroubek ,
I can assure you that the villosa plant is really enjoying my terrarium and its leaves and pitchers ( especially the last 2 ones ) are really becoming bigger and bigger...this is a clear signi that plant is enjoying the habitat.
Even temperatures are really nont high for a villosa ( 25 during day and 19 during night).
Could it be a fungus that overstakes when the plant is particular weak due its climate or natural conditions? Maybe...but it should even not be my case.
I will post more pics of villosa as soon the plant will continue its grow.
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

19 at night? I think thats a bit too warm! Thats the temperature i keep my lowlanders at, at night!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Nepenthes villosa grows nice when it is a little plant.
I know that normally would not be a ultra highland good temperature.
Bye!

Mr_Aga

Hi all:

I think we've touched the topic of the biggest misconceptions of all time!.

Most plants when tiny are highly resistant to suboptimal growing conditions, once they reached certain size, about 4-5 cm in diameter, they must be grown in the conditions as close as possible to where the parents plants are naturally found, otherwise, they'll eventually die. this statement holds true mostly for ultrahighlanders, typical lowlanders, or fussy growers.

Gus

Maybe that's why my N. villosa is doing pretty well in the intermediate conditions I have it in. It's VERY young, so perhaps it's currently immune to my neglect
smile_n_32.gif

Back