Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut husk reptile bedding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found some coconut husk in the pet store that is labelled for reptile bedding. Is this safe for my plants? I know some coconut husk is high in salt content, but thought if this was safe for reptiles, it should be safe for my plants. Has anyone used this or know anything else about it?
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think even the plant type coconut husk stuff has to be washed to leach out all the salts so I'd say give it a few good washings and you should be fine
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wanna know too [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    please help steve! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use it unless first soaking it a few times in pure water and testing with a tds meter each time.

High quality chips produced for plants are washed several times prior to packing and orginate from coconuts that are not grown near coastal water. The quality can vary significantly even among products produced for the agriculture market.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Tony has pointed out, rinsing is critical. I purchased some coco chips from a nearby orchid vendor. He assured me they were rinsed and ready to use. I soaked them anyway, and the first rinse water measured over 400ppm TDS. After several more rinses, it was below 80ppm and I used it in my mix - no problems.

(By the way - welcome back, Tony!)

Cheers,
    KPG
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've rinsed them twice and left them outside in the rain yesterday. I can rinse them again, but I don't have a TDS meter. Where can I get one and how expensive are they?

Is the fact that they are sterilized for reptile bedding any indication of their salt content?
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sterilizing generally only involves heating and dehydrating, generally not rinsing. after rinsing i use theas as part of my soil for my dart frogs and Mantellas which are pretty picky about contaminates and ive had no problems
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pondered using this stuff also. If it's the same stuff I have seen in places like Pet-Co, it is made in Sri Lanka(which I think is the safest as they are usually not beach-front trees).
    Even so, many washings for sure. If you have a tds meter, I would be interested in hearing the levels.

Cheers,

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast