What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ahh well instead of catching up on emails and website etc... I goofed off in the ghouse for a bit.  Here are some pics

N. aristolochioides shrub.  I still have trouble with these things making blind tips occasionally .. well this one did last Summer and responded with about 6 lateral shoots.
Naristo.jpg

N. ephippiata lower pitcher
NephippiataBE.jpg

N. macrophylla
Nmacrophylla.jpg

N. rajah
Nrajah.jpg

N. something or other.. think it was lowii x (spathulata x maxima) or something like that.  Guess I should write it down next time  
smile_l_32.gif

NlowXspathXmax.jpg

Tony,

Your goofing off puts my serious study to shame...

Great shots! Sweet macrophylla! I love the aristo!
Is a blind tip where they suddenly fork for no reason? Mine did that too...

Josh I have had them do that funky split where all of a sudden 2 leaves come out and it makes a fork. The blind thing I am talking about is when it makes a couple tiny squirrly mutant leaves then nothing.. This is the only species that gives me this hassle. It happens any time of the year for no apparent reason that I can find. If you look close at the photo you will see two tips up near the top that are starting to do it again.. There are about 4 or 5 other growing tips that are just growing normally still on the same plant, as well as about another 12 plants scattered around the ghouse that are also growing normally.. so go figure.

wow! your aristo is unbelievable tony! truely one of the best and most respected nep growers.... ever!

Great plants Tony! I love the N. macrophylla. Is that a hard Nep to grow?

Tony, I've had aristo produce blind shoots in summer only, they just don't like warm weather. This summer they've coped better with air conditioning and higher humidity, so growth had continued, albeit very slowly.

Great images, Tony!
The macrophylla is beautiful - showing the elongated peristome - and that aristo must be on steroids.
Thanks for sharing,
KPG

Very Nice plants!!! Truely a wonderful growing condition!! Are those out in a Greenhouse? What are the temps like? How much shade cloth? If you don't mind me asking.

from me..full 10 points for the aristolochioides,well done

Robert

I am unable to resist asking...what is that white stuff on the leaves of the aristo? I always see that on wild-collected plants.

Is it a fungicide/pesticide or fertilizer of some kind?

Tony,

As always, great job. If you have done so already..what is your experience rooting cuttings of N. aristolochioides?

Holy mother....
WOWZERS.
Tony, thouse are some awesome plants there (not too shabby photos, either).

Man, I can't wait to get my greenhouse.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 03 2006,2:24)]I am unable to resist asking...what is that white stuff on the leaves of the aristo? I always see that on wild-collected plants.

I get that on some of my Neps' leaves. I've never been sure what it is, but I'm positive that my plants aren't wild-collected.

Anyone know what it is?

More wonderful piccies to add to BobZ's site eh? Great as ever Tony, thank you!

Cheers
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Mar. 03 2006,9:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 03 2006,2:24)]I am unable to resist asking...what is that white stuff on the leaves of the aristo? I always see that on wild-collected plants.

I get that on some of my Neps' leaves. I've never been sure what it is, but I'm positive that my plants aren't wild-collected.

Anyone know what it is?
Mineral deposits from water that has dried on the leaves.

<span style='color:teal'>Hey Tony! I am waiting for your answers, but i can still keep on waiting as long as i see pictures like these
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Mar. 03 2006,3:02)]Very Nice plants!!!  Truely a wonderful growing condition!!  Are those out in a Greenhouse? What are the temps like?  How much shade cloth?  If you don't mind me asking.
Greenhouse yes.  During the Winter I keep the temps around 76day/54night.  There is a little 30% shade cloth up in the peak of the greenhouse all year.  The main 50% shadecloth is off for the Winter.  Sunlight up in my neck of the woods is a rare event for a good portion for the Winter and when it does shine it is not very intense.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 03 2006,3:02)]what is that white stuff on the leaves of the aristo?
In my case it is fungicide.  Mineral deposits would also be a good bet particularly if overhead watered or misted frequently with less than very pure water.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (philcula @ Mar. 03 2006,3:02)]what is your experience rooting cuttings of N. aristolochioides?
Very touch and go.  I find they take a long time root and a large portion just up and turn black on me.

aristolochioides is allways a fave of mine!

cheers

Back