Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: more..rafflesiana in natural growing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The solid purple upper is just amazing! Didn't know it existed! Usually the uppers are lighter in color than lowers and typically nigropurpureas have the solid dark color only in the lower traps. Absolutly astounding form of the species.

It's interesting to see how they're growing in their native habitat. It is interesting to note that these environments shown in your photos always have moving water, even the ground water is slowly moving to the sea. It is this moving water that seems critical. In cultivation we need to use rapidly draining media to come close to simulating this effect.
    Once again, fantastic photos Robert. Keep up the good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Robert,
    Fascinating images, as always. Can't thank you enough for the habitat info you have been passing along to us.

That N. rafflesiana with the very dark upper pitcher is stunning!

Thanks again,
    KPG
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome fieldwork as usual! Thanks! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

You're getting a website of all these tours together aren't you? You should post the link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

That is kind of what I was hinting at.
    There was an old aticle from CPN about growing cp using a flow table(slanted table with a constant flow of water from upper end to lower end). It makes you wonder how that would work for some Nepenthes....

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like a hydroponic ebb & flow table? Use non soil media like lava rock, rock wool, etc. with continous root flushing.

I was thinking of trying to grow some Darlingtonia this summer in a lava rock, charcoal and bark mix in one pot sitting over a resivor with a small water pump (aquarium powerhead) pushing a stream of water over the roots that runs back into the water bin below.

I grew a huge N. Trichoarpa in a 2" pot by putting the cutting pot in the resivor of my lowland tank, the roots filled the aquarium bottom in a wide fibrous mat and the plant grew great making basal shoots and very long vine since it sat in the resivor it never got watered just misted. My bical sits in a tray of water 1-2" deep that is enough to keep the soil wet always afraid to make the water level too deep. Being on the tray doesn't mean not flushing the soil. Once per week the bical is pulled out and watered through with flood and flush then the water tray dumped out and new pure water is added when the plant gets put back.

If you water your plants by the flood the pot and allow to drain a couple times at each watering you can help simulate the torrential rains, flooding, etc. which depletes the salts and minerals from their roots in the wild and keeps them from building up in the soil. I always use a rapid draining mix containing lots of orchid bark and charcoal to open up the sphagnum this allows a good washing of the roots each watering but plenty of air exchange as well.

The main problem with sand is finding it in a decent grit size that wil not compact on you... and that it's neutral and won't add something weird to the soil. If anyone knows of where to get good sand... pass the info!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos, as usual, Robert. The one of a pitcher with a tendril looped around a branch of a shrub is a classic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Trent @ Mar. 05 2006,7:35)]The solid purple upper is just amazing! Didn't know it existed! Usually the uppers are lighter in color than lowers and typically nigropurpureas have the solid dark color only in the lower traps. Absolutly astounding form of the species.
    Hello,
    I agree with this!! The red upper is fantastic! Cantley's red amp...Robert's red raff! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] In fact, I havent yet seen ANY form of raff from all your field pics which I dont desire to get my hands on...all the varieties are so different and fascinating in their own ways... the nivea, nivea with dark red peri, giant forms, squat forms, elongated forms... ... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_o_32.gif[/img]
    Thank you for the wonderful field pics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all thanks for the responses.
    Josh,i don't have a website yet. I will inform once i have one.

Trent,again thanks for the attention and your ability to translate info from the photo.

KPG,you're most welcome. I'll try my best to capture in photo and to provide everyone the actual view of the physical environment.

Robert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast