Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: more..rafflesiana in natural growing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again..recently i visited another rafflesiana site,a heath forest. During rainy season this area will be flooded.The ground here is very soft. I use my machete ( 14" long ) easily trust deep down to reveal the water level and soil substrates.On top are very thin layer of rotting leaves and beneath are loose sand and clay. Conditions is strictly lowland with day temp ranging 28C - 30C. RH 80%

In the book "National parks of Sarawak' by Drs Hans Hazebroek, a trained geologist, he described the geological structure of this part as alluvium:sand,silt deposits,and clay. Land elevation above sea level 0 - 75m

On slightly higher groung,moss grows over it,ground is dryer as water seeps through the substrates with ease.

As silt,clay and sand are loose and easily erode thus revealing the more sandy lower part of the ground.

Rafflesianas here are very diversified with a variety of variation ,included those i posted some months ago, the not very common nigropurpurea,and nivea with dark red peristome.

Robert [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robert,
    Excellent as usual!
    Is the water level like that all the time, or is it a rainy season or something?
    This would make you think you could grow this species using the tray method-BUT, like the peat swamps bicals grow in, it's hard to duplicate the natural conditions and it may not work in cultivation to just sit it's pot in water.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, many lowlanders seem to have a under-layer of sandy based mix...even clay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joe,yes during the rainy season,and some neps are submerged or part in water. Once the dry season approaches water recedes to many of the smaller streams.some are permanently trapped in small pools

Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rbjong, why do the pics have a "look" of and old text book from like the 80's? not that im saying you are getting them from there, but is it the camerea or something?
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The variations in wild populations amaze me! Your photos are excellent. I have never seen photos of the last two varieties you have there, although I've read about both.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi fc3srx713b ( santos ) which photo you refered to. If it's 1st and 2nd then it will be the wrong settings of the camera resulting in unnatural colors, whcih i have noted.All photo are taken by me recently. Thanks for the response.

Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing pics as usual and very informative on soil conditions. Gotta love those last two.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast