What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep nectar

Hi all,
This is going to sound very weird but which nectar of the neps nectar can u drink that is sweet? Wen I was cleaning my terrarium I got some of the fluid on the bottom of the pitcher and was about to try it wen I remembered that many bugs dies in there and thought how sweet could it be if it can kill and digest a bug. I chickened out there. But wat part of the nep produces the sweet insect-attracting nectar?

Don't drink out of opened pitchers! If you're curious, you can drink the fluid of any species; just find a mature pitcher that has yet to open and pop it. Opened pitchers have all sorts of bug guts and germy things in them - it probably wouldn't kill you but I would in no way recommend it. The unopened pitchers are still sterile inside.
I think people say that N. bicalcarata has the best nectar, but they're all edible. The fluid doesn't become really caustic until the plant detects an insect in the fluid by vibration (and possibly chemosensation, I don't remember.) It's mostly sugar water. At its worst it still wouldn't be as bad as your stomach acids, so bottoms up!
~Joe

PS - The best nectar forms on the leaves and peristome in little droplets when the plant is happy, in my experience. On my raff and ventrata, the fluid that forms in drops on the underside of the lid is sweet, but on my pilosa x vietchii it's not. I've only tried the pitcher fluid on my ventrata, and it wasn't especially sweet, but interesting.

Thanks for the adivce. I have a large un-opened N.xcoccinea pitcher that I mite pop open and drink out of. Thanks!

Why would you drink out of it???
I could see tasting the nectar from the Peristone or something I know thats sweet.... But the fluids on the inside?

cheers (bottoms up i guess)

U have misunderstood me ak. I am not drinking out of it. I am just going to have a little taste to see how sweet or tart or greasy it is. Im just doing a little.... hmmmm... wats the word? taste test.
smile_n_32.gif

Hi all.
Well I just did a taste test of my cocinea and the stuff tastes like $hit! It is all greasy and it has like a vegetable oil taste to it. Im never trying that kind of stuff again. Maybe wen I get a greenhouse and the neps start to produce that nectar on the leaves and stuff.

Yes, the leaf and peristome (lip) nectar is what we've been tasting, NOT the digestive fluid from the pitchers yeuk!
smile_n_32.gif

I can't imagine swilling that!
laugh.gif

My ventrata's fluid tastes kind of like kung pao sauce and dog food gravy. :) But if you're in the jungle with no fresh water...
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK @ Mar. 08 2006,2:57)]omg im a retard
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
man i wanted to do that first!!! i guess you beat me to it!
smile_l_32.gif

hey, just make sure you tounge doesnt swell...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK @ Mar. 07 2006,3:57)]omg im a retard
Yes but you're our retard, so we won't hold it against you. <chuckle>

I'm betting you aren't the only one that has tried that though!

Just drink, its not that dangerous...
Its abit oily..
smile_m_32.gif

Back