Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 10 2006,7:09)]Personally I would take all the water out of the tray asap.

I have a Nep. on my windowsill that is in a tray. It is just there to catch excess water. The water doesn't remain for more than a day after watering and I don't water again until the potting mix is just damp. Perpetually sitting Nepenthes in water will frequently lead to root rot/plant death.

Tony
    I always have a problem telling the difference between what is "just damp" and what is just plain dry. For this reason I keep most of my Neps in a small amount of water via the tray system. They've all done well so far, but I do let the tray dry out and stay dry for a few days before I water again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little bit more wet than common plants for the most part (if you even know what thats like! lol [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] )

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are your temps?

Usually, N.ampullaria likes it hot and N.sibuyanensis and N.macfarlenii like it cool. N. x ventrata is bombproof, it can take lowland or highland temps.

My N. ampullaria really declined once temps in my terrerium reached into the low 60's at night in the winter.

The other 2 like nights in the low 50's-low 60's.

If your climate is hot and humid with warm nights, the N. amp would do extemely well outside in the summer. It can take temps up to 100+ if kept moist. If you live in an area with cool nights all summer(less than 60 f), the other 2 would do well outside in the summer. If you have no means of cooling your terrerium at night in the winter, freeze a bottle of water and place it next to your highlanders at night in their terrerium.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12