What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Ventricosa coming

I have a N. Ventricosa soon and I was wondering if I should plant it in live sphagnum or the dried kind? Should it have anything else mixed in like peat or sand or whatever else there is?

Either live or dried is fine. I wouldn't add peat or sand as they're too dense, Nepenthes like a light airy mix. There are other things that can be added, coarse coir, orchid bark, perlite, vermiculte etc but straight sphagnum is also OK.

Really?  I have 3 Nepenthes groing in Peat/perlite mix and doing good.  One is a sanguina orange, truncata, and ventrata hybred I think it was a NoID I got from my OS Doing great though.  I just planted the other three I got in straight peat, but if its not good I am going to repot them when I get home tomorrow.  I do not want to kill my bicalcarata or the other two I just got. Sorry I can;t remember the name.

Some swamp-dwelling lowlanders will do OK in peat, but for highlanders I'd stay away from it. They'll do OK in it for a while, but the roots just can't penetrate it as well, especially as it compacts, and root rot is an issue. A bit of peat mixed in with other aerated materials should be fine, but pure peat, or peat and sand mix like you use with Sarras should be avoided.

JB, I would avoid the dense mixtures with the truncata. From my experience (i.e. from what I learned by killing one), they prefer lighter mixes where the water just washes on through.

Should I soak and get the sphagnum wet and damp like someone would do for the peat for something like a VFT or keep it dry right out of the bag? How often do you water and kind of highland nep?

If you use dry sphagnum, then it should be soaked before us. Highland neps I generally only water when the surface on the potting medium starts drying out. It is safer to keep them slightly on the drier side than the wet - they can get root rot if kept too wet.

Back