Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tap or distilled water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read in some CP book that you could use tap or some neps. Is this true or false? I'm getting N. Ventricosa if that helps any.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven' tried it, but I think it's safe since neps don't go on the tray system, so the water drains anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll survive for ages on tap water, and even more if it's filtered by a Brita or similar type water "purifier".

Cheers
    Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. You can consider them as a regular house plant [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Boo!
    Got scared [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold on! Not all tap water is the same! I'd have it checked for TDS (total disolved solids.) If it's around 100 or lower ppm, you can probably get away with tap.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is totally not true, especially if you have filtered "soft tap water"!
    I.e. the filter uses salt pellets to change hard water to "soft" which actually makes it sodium laden water. This soft tap water is actually worse than hard water which at least has minerals the plants can use. If it was fine to use I'd never have spent the money on R/O setup! Infact I've forgotten to replace my R/O setup last summer and after six months of using old cartridges my plants are visibly unhappy with my water quality and just now starting to comeback around after about a couple weeks of getting their cartridges replaced.

A "brita" or "pur" charcoal filter will not do anything to purify your water. It might make it taste better for you and me but as far as changing the properites of the water it doesn't do anything but change the color or pull out odd smells/flavors. Taking out what you can see/taste doesn't mean it has neutralized the PH or pulled out all the sodium and sediment, which a plain charcoal filter can not do, charcoal is stage one or two of an R/O unit.

Why is tap water bad? As sodium water dries on plant roots the minerals crystalize on their surface and then the next time you water the roots will not be able to uptake as much water and eventually the plant will dessicate no matter how much water you continue to pour on it. Houseplants will die off like that using the same tap water so don't use it longterm unless you're growing an annual or a bulb type of plant who'll loose it's roots in a year anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew all my cp's on tap water for several years. It usually tests at about 200something PPM. Neps did fine, Pinguicula did fine, Sarracenia never lasted too long, Drosera survived but never too well, and Dionaea always died eventually.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's your tap water ours is 440ppm!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast