User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What critter do you feed the most to your neps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was buying live crickets for a while, but I recently made switch to something free.

Since I was recently spitting fire wood, I found these fat, juicy grubs that live in the wood & fall out when it's split. I can get quite a few from just one (rather large) log. delicious & nutricious!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feed my neps beetles that I have acquired from a forum member. My ground neps catch ants and flying insects and my hanging basket neps catch flying insects usually mosquitos, gnats, and moths.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Grasshoppers: the 4" beasts that I find in the garden. Freeze, chop, and feed. Its great for the larger neps.

2. Termites: At least once a year, it rains and the next day all the winged termites come out and land in the pool. I skim them out, roll them into balls appropriately sized for the pitcher, and drop them in.

3. Mosquito larvae: Similar to the termites. Just scoop 'em, roll 'em, and into the pitcher they go.

4. Ants: I discovered these when I had a few neps in a makeshift mini greenhouse outside. I'd have whole trails pouring into the pitchers on my N. mirabilis x khasiana. The pitchers all filled a solid 1/3 way with ant carcasses and the plant grew from a rooted cutting to 2 feet in a few months.

5. For the little neps, I use fruit flies or termites left over from feeding the tarantula spiderlings.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow ill have to try some of these myself! i seem to go better with the grubs because of theif soft body. there must be someone out there that used june bugs or snails/slugs... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schloaty,

When you are spitting wood do you spit the grubs directly into the pitchers and do you chew them first?

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use store bought crickets usually. you can get them in different sizes for different sized plants, they're relatively cheap, and easy to aquire (just go to a pet store). i just bring them home, throw them in the freezer for a while, them feed them to my plants.
    i also use dried blood worms. just dump a small amount into the pitcher and your set. these are also available at any petstore.
    in the past i have tried blood meal, hard boiled egg whites, 2% milk, hard boiled egg whites, protien drinks, even ground up herbal suppliments (bee caps).
    the crickets and blood worms are by far the easiest and best in my opinion.

tech...
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does firstborn male child constitute food? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] When I had mine outside and dissected an old pitcher, I found predominantly yellow jackets in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]2. Termites: At least once a year, it rains and the next day all the winged termites come out and land in the pool. I skim them out, roll them into balls appropriately sized for the pitcher, and drop them in.
    i would be careful...the chlorine might hurt the plants...
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast