User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What critter do you feed the most to your neps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Right now im using live crickets. when the pitchers get bigger and the entire plant as well, i would love to use june bugs! i want to know what bugs you guys use and why. i heard slugs or snails are easy to digest but i would like to hear it from people themselves, so please post!
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine get more gnats than anything else - all on their own. Like most growers, I get fungus gnats. Not a ton of them, but a nep pitcher might have 3-10 of them in there depending on their age. Sometimes they catch a mosquito, which is always fun, plus the occasional house fly. But I only feed the dried crickets.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice to know! my plants outdoors do catch alot of things, right now outdoors there arent that many flies in the colder months or they seem not to be as active like in the summer months, so i suppy them with the crickets. the plants that are more tubby such as sibu, ventricosa, truncata, they seem to catch more gnats than the ones that are more clyndrical such as copelandii, fusca, maxima. i havent gotten that fungus gnat yet but i hope i dont. that might be like trying to stop fungus spore. lol
    maybe someday i will try small fish such as guppies. those june bugs are very strong beetle with very sharp claws. i put one in a unknown hybrid head first into the pitcher and it used its claws to get itself out backwards. but i guess so as long as the pitcher is wide and large i guess that wont be a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are in the basement and they've caught spiders, crickets, cetipedes, mosquitos, sow bugs, fungus nats, lady beetles and box elder bugs. Basically any creepy crawly basement critters. I wish they would catch mice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Glenn @ Mar. 16 2006,2:46)]Basically any creepy crawly basement critters. I wish they would catch mice!
    why dont you hang some cheese over the opening?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hand feed dried crickets and asian tree ants. Plants also catch some critters that make their way into the greenhouse, the most common being the little Argentine ants. They will catch hundreds, before I discover they have invaded and spray. (They make great food, but they can bring in scale, mealybugs and other pests.) In fact, I started hand feeding more, after I noticed the plants that had gorged on ants would have a growth spurt.
    KPG
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i really dont know where the ants went [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    i think because of the cold. i think they are less active in cold weather....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah! Last year the ants invaded the grow room, and hundreds were caught in nep pitchers. They left when the weather got warmer. No return this winter though.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast