What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Eastern US

Does anyone here live in the northeast US? If anyone does can you tell me how you get highland nepenthes conditions around here, both in the summer and winter? I've only grown ventricosa which was easy without any enclosure or anything, but i want to try to grow other plants that require better conditions.
smile_l_32.gif

try N. bongso, if it grows for you try another highlander. its about as hardy as highlanders get and its really showy

Thanks for the advice, I've actually been thinking about getting one but i wasn't sure. I'll probably get one.
smile.gif

I live in zone 5 in MA. I have an unheated basement that is typically 50F in the winter and 65F in the summer. When I have the lights on over my terrariums, it brings the heat up quite a bit. When the summer days are really hot, I use ice temporarily to get the night temperature down. The terrarium keeps the humidity high.

oh if you get bongso be warned it tends to sit and pout after being moved. ive had to move mine 3 times(including its move when it was shipped to me) and every time it sits an pouts and doesnt do anything for about 6 weeks and than all of the sudden it starts growing and pitchering again happily reguardless of conditions. but its worse than a darn two year old if you have to move it cause it doesnt seem to think its going to like its new home even if conditions are actually better

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 17 2006,9:45)]oh if you get bongso be warned it tends to sit and pout after being moved. ive had to move mine 3 times(including its move when it was shipped to me) and every time it sits an pouts and doesnt do anything for about 6 weeks and than all of the sudden it starts growing and pitchering again happily reguardless of conditions. but its worse than a darn two year old if you have to move it cause it doesnt seem to think its going to like its new home even if conditions are actually better
thanks for this advice! i havent moved mine and its been more than 6 months now in the same spot and its just stating to name a new pitcher under my conditions, after 2 leaves that aborted pitchers for some reason. i guess it really likes that spot i put it in, the light seems to be perfect for it!!! hey RMT, mine is now 2" and its still flat and uninfalted! man this one is gonna be big, well for me atleast!

try a Ventrata. im experimenting with mine outside during the day(and nights if they are warm enough) and its in full sun which i doubt is good but it is stiil bomb proof so it wont decline too much...someone correct me on that please.
rattler_mt: is moving it as you say like moving it outside for the day and inside for the night?
good growing
alex
EDIT: almost forgot i live in Zone 6 which is Kentucky if it works for me it might work for you.

Back