What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. maxima x ventricosa

I want to get a N. maxima x ventricosa. Will be able to successfully grow this hyrbrid on a windowsill, treating it like a regular N. ventricosa? I have grown ventricosa but I am not familiar with maxima, but I hear it's an easy species. I think the hybrids between the two are beautiful.

I intend to put it near a southeast window which the sun hits for 3 to 4 hours in the morning and gets bright indirect sun the rest of the day. Humidity in this room is usually around 50-60%. I can hide it from the direct morning sun if needed. The window is about 5 feet tall and the top half of it doesn't get hit by direct sun, so I can just hang it from the ceiling in a hanging to hide it from the direct sunlight.
Nepenthes_ventricosa_x_maxima-lg.jpg

Thank You!!

No experience. but if you do get one get it from another supplier. California Carnivores sells them for 60$ while sunbelle exotics sells it for 20$. they might be the same sized plant they might not.... i have heard that regarless of supream conditions you give it it will almost never pitcher consecutively(leaf after another) im actually looking forward to getting one. oh and BTW it is also refered to as 'Red Leopard' so you might find it more under that name.
good luck
alex

where exactly do you live in california?
well im trying to root this one!
81157754O116613370.jpg

there are like 10 or more in that pot!

Just a little interjection.
The ones California Carnivores and Sunbelle Exotics sell are actually N. ventricosa x N. maxima(seed parent is listed first).
Second, N. 'Red Leopard' is a specific clone made by the Mansell's of Exotica in Australia, so not all crosses of these two should be referred to as that. Since Trent & Michelle Meeks at Sunbelle refer to theirs as 'Red Leopard, they have Exotica's clone. I can't make that claim for California Carnivores.
If you grow N. ventricosa, this hybrid should grow for you fine. I find it a little more vigorous, actually.

Cheers,

Joe

This is one of the first neps I owned, and I still like it! Mine grew for a long time in my living room, so household temps are fine. You should have no trouble with it. My clone came from Leilani Hapu in Hawaii, via ebay.

N_maxima_x_ventricosa_11.sized.jpg

Holy cow, fc3srx713b , that's one heck of a cutting!!!

Capslock

Back