Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Having some problems

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lam_wn @ Mar. 31 2006,6:20)]only insecticides: systemic and the 'normal' type.
    there are 2 types I think I can use: malathion and white summer oil.
    I havent bought anything yet, although someone also recommended systemic as the mites suck the sap hence... ...
    What do you think and what are your experiences with these?
    for treating mites.
    thanks
    I have used Orthenex many times on neps with no problems ever. It is the one sold for roses, which is listed as a systemic. It is a combination of an insecticide and fungicide all-in-one. I understand you can buy the components seperately as well so be sure to get the one listed for pests and fungal infections in the same product. I use about 75% full strength and have never had any ill-effect from it, and it has removed scale for me with great results. I in fact just applied it to a large truncata that was getting reddish spots on the leaves (not typical sun-reddening) and the latest leaf that unfolded is immaculately green and succulent looking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mites can be easily seen with a small hand lens. They have eight legs so nothing else will have eight legs if you see anything. Mites usually occur on the newest leaf and may make the leaves curl or roll in an odd turn that is abnormal for the plant. Many times mites will gather at the newest growing tip, whether it is a new leaf, a tendril or even the pitcher itself. Miticides are the only effective solution to this problem. But spraying a miticide may also destroy beneficial mites that feed on other mites. So with this turn of events, may I suggest wetting your plants thoroughly when watering. Mites dislike water in any way. But if you must use a miticide be sure to spray it with two alternating miticides. This can be expensive.

Mites could possibly the result from mites coming off from the place you purchase your plants. If your delaer also sells desert rose (Adenium spp.) and or Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia millii) you most definitely have mites. Perhaps he/she is not aware that it is mites that makes their leaves sad looking, not due to nutrition or soil wetness.

Your mix is too wet. It is fine to keep the root ends near saturation point on some species, but keep the surface area loose and open-airy at all times. The addition of pumice and or perlite is a big plus when it comes to making a near perfect soil mix. Peat moss and fine orchid/fir bark chips are also good components. Some charcoal added to the bottom of your pot is a good crock for drain holes and root bottom soil rests. Hanging your pots especially at an angle will also help drain all the excess water from collecting in the pot. This channeling of water also helps leach salts and dissolved gases which may cause some damage in the long run.

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also see that you use mesh pots as I do. But perhaps you are OVER-potting them so that your soil stays wetter longer than is desired.

Here are a few of my plants in mesh pots allowed to air dry quickly and easily when placed above a cement wall.

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking plants RainforestGuy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

just checking, I finally got pics.
    BE-99 underside of leaf:
    (not that I expect you to see little mites there)

truncata:

(underside)

what is wrong with the truncata? I still have not found miticide yet, will check durign weekend. I dont think truncata is mites right?

BTW, rainforest, those are thorellixtruncata s? very nice!

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (MrAga73 @ Mar. 31 2006,10:39)]here in Italy I am using 40% coconut chips mixed with 10% perlite and 30% peat moss...

Mr_Aga
    Milan - ITALY
    Mr_Aga, you're growing nepenthes only using 80% total anything in your soil! It's magic!

Caplsock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If those are thorelli X truncata, I better get more of those...

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ April 05 2006,8:24)]
    Quote[/b] (MrAga73 @ Mar. 31 2006,10:39)]here in Italy I am using 40% coconut chips mixed with 10% perlite and 30% peat moss...

Mr_Aga
    Milan - ITALY
    Mr_Aga, you're growing nepenthes only using 80% total anything in your soil! It's magic!

Caplsock
    Very funny!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast