Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having some problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    I have been having some problems with some of my plants lately, hope can find out what am I doing wrong and how to stop it.

Firstly,
    copelandii Apo from BE.
    yes its an intermediate plant trying to grow in extreme lowland here in Singapore,
    but it was doing fine for 2+ months, bringing out leaves which were O.K. and slightly smaller pitchers...

then this pitcher,

then these 2 horrible leaves!

its in cocochips, perlite, charcoal, bark 2:1:1:1 mix, 70% shade. The only changes so far is the monsoon period to a slightly hotter period... But i doubt that the temp made this change!

second,
    a problem with 2 giant form raffs: Bau giant from MT and BE-99 from BE...I understand they are not THAT difficult plants, but yet seem so fussy to me!
    Bau giant: has been with me for 1 year, 70% cloth, has pitchered total of 00001 times and has increase total of 00000mm in terms of leaf size! planted in cocochips, perlite, charcoal and peat (I think).

BE-99: Has increased in size slightly, planted in cocochips, perlite, charcoal. The stuff on top is cocopeat. Most obviously, the rust spot on this plant is terrible! I have never used fungicides before but after so many months with no improvement I had to! (havent observed any improvements ever since application - i used captan) anyway, the plant has not been growing (no leaf size increase) and whats worse, it has stopped pitchering on the last 2 leaves...

another BE-99 which has not been growing...even shrinking slightly!

I know the most likely problem would seem to be burning or overexposure to light. But I doubt it because these plants are all under 70% shade and they only get these filtered rays for 3 hours daily, light is blocked out by the building most of the time. And BE uses 80% shade for them, how much difference could there be?

Lastly,
    campanulata from MT
    in charcoal, LFS, cocochip, perlite mix.
    have no idea whats wrong. I understand their pitchers should last longer...shouldnt they?

Appreciate any help given. Just general info: I live in Singapore, 1 degree off the equator. Water daily, temps are 24-34 degrees although 34 is quite rare (we got it 3 times last week, this week has been cloudy and wet) and I use 21-21-21 dilute 50% and applied to foliage weekly.

Thank you,
    Lam
    (PS forgive my horrible spelling, typing rather quickly, is there anything unclear?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a start, I don't think too much light is the problem, raffs are often found growing in full sun. It may be your mix. When you say cocopeat, do you mean the fine stuff, or the coarse coconut coir. If the former, it may be too dense and also if you didn't soak and rinse it thoroughly, the pH may be too low. Some coco products are also high in salt, so need to be rinsed thoroughly prior to use. I suggest using a coarse coconut coir-based mix which has been thoroughly soaked and rinsed.

The copelandii will not do well long term in true lowland conditions.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would second what Joel said. I see 2 other possible problems as well. I see you are useing the coconut chunks, thats good. I use the same mix. coconut chunks perlite charcoal and just a touch of chopped shpagnum. That's it. no coir.You don't want to use the crushed stuff that is like hair. It does not dry out.
    But it still looks like you have possible root rot. possibly too much watering. the mix should be loosely packed so that air can get between the chunks. I suggest you let the "soil" pretty much dry out between waterings.
    You may have mites as well. I know I always tell people this, but its because most people get them at some point in the year. the mites are bad enough for the plant, but they also bite the leaves, and fungus get's in the bites. So not only do the mites weaken and deform your plant, but they also spread fungus.

So. I suggest you repot your effected plants in a looser mix. make sure you ph the water that your going to soak the coconut chunks in to about 5. Then spray your entire collection with a good miticide, and systemic fungicide cocktail twice 10 days apart. Alliette is also very good for root rot. So you may want to add some of that in too.
    hope that helps

robin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok i dont know about the others but with N. Campanulata, did you feed it? their pitchers will only go down hill if you feed them...not the plant itself but the pitchers. the walls are rely thin.
    good luck
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    thanks all for replies,
    firstly, about mites. I was told this was the cause by another forummer. Will check and get miticide...does it harm to spray uninfected plants?
    About 'soil': I dont know whats coir, but I use the chunky stuff, but the BE-99 has top dressing of cocoPEAT to keep moisture in, the fine stuff (becuase its roots werequite shallow)
    However, I find it quite hard to belief that ALL the plants infected with mites
    how would the damage look like? as seen in the BE-99, yes I belief... but are ALL the plants suffering from it, as in can the cause for the poor growth in, say camp, be caused by mites yet hardly any visible signs? (because its in a rather coarse mix, I would hardly suspect root rot
    and about the root rot, It is usually gradual right? so by the time the symptoms show above ground level, I should expect some substantial damage below? What are the symptoms I should look out for next time?
    Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lam
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]does it harm to spray uninfected plants?
    No it should not hurt them. I use avid, or akari for mites, and Zyban, and or Aliette for fungus/root rot.
    They may not all be infected with mites, but you can't see the eggs, and sometimes cant even see the mites, so unless you spray all your plants in the area, you may miss some of the mites.

The campanulata damage could be mites, or not enough air to the roots, or some kind of fungus, or all three. They all work together. Mites thrive in overly humid conditions, (above 60%) and so does the fungus in the leaves, and possibly the roots. The mites open all the parts of the plant to infection. So even if you spray fungicide, if you don't kill the mites, they just keep reeinfecting your plants.

If possible, lowering the humidity to around 55%-60% will help alot with all of your problems. Your plants will have a tougher skin, and be less suseptible to mites and fungus. Plus the mites and fungus cannot thrive in the lower humidity.

What I look for usually is..
    deformed leaves, slow growth, yellowing...................... mites
    progressively smaller leaves, slow growth, yellowing.......root rot, or root suffocation, or fungus..and or mites.

bad dreams at night .......itching.........depression................................mites!!!

Your nepenthes should be growing fast, and look healthy and green. if not, something is usually wrong.

I'm no expert on the subject, I'm just sharing from personal experience.

I can't usually see the mites either Lam, just the damage. But i sure can tell the difference a couple weeks after I spray. All my guys turn green again, and start to pitcher, and really start to grow fast (for nepenthes anyway)
    Hope that helps
    robin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    Thank you very much for the help,
    unfortunately, the weather is now very humid and wet! humidity never below 75% and I am growing outdoors so cant control this.
    regarding Mites,
    I cant find miticide here, (not shocking, nurseries here dont carry superthrive, 30-10-10 ferts, or orchid bark either! ) only insecticides: systemic and the 'normal' type.
    there are 2 types I think I can use: malathion and white summer oil.
    I havent bought anything yet, although someone also recommended systemic as the mites suck the sap hence... ...
    What do you think and what are your experiences with these?
    for treating mites.
    thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!
    I am writing you from Italy and I can tell you that I have a Copelandii from 1 mt high and it is a very easy plant.It seems not to demand a lot of light. from what I can tell you after to have checked your pics....maybe the problem should be in the soil....really strange because I also here in Italy I am using 40% coconut chips mixed with 10% perlite and 30% peat moss.
    I have also 2 Nepenthes campanulata in the terrarium and I can confirm you that their traps don't last for long time. It is a shame and I understand you.
    I have no help for the rafflesiana.
    Bye

Mr_Aga
    Milan - ITALY
    Mr_Aga
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast