What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

home depot nep

hd1.jpg

And here is my mini bog garden.  
bog21.jpg

Hey that last one isn't a nep, get it outta here! j/k

Nice pics though, great pitcher coloration on that nep.

Does any one have a slight idea on what the nep might be?

ho hum ~ midnight surfing's got me sleepy , up n till now ~ your happy lil family stretching for the sun is so great ~ , i'm rejuvinated.
thanks for sharing

[b said:
Quote[/b] (huy716 @ Mar. 27 2006,2:40)]Does any one have a slight idea on what the nep might be?
If that came from Gubler Orchids, it might be the hybrid that nobody can identify for certain. Probably has maxima in it.

From what I understand, the supplier ships what it wants to ship and it could be anything. Last summer I bought a pot with 6 plants in it - all the same thing - and according to the experts - they were all ventratas. But yours has that mottled look and the pictures I see in S.G. could indicate a few different species.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tiffneycase @ Mar. 28 2006,1:56)]ho hum ~ midnight surfing's got me sleepy , up n till now ~ your happy lil family stretching for the sun is so great ~ , i'm rejuvinated.
thanks for sharing
You're too funny! You read just like a Garfield comic. What comes to mind is one where Garfield is hanging by his claws on the screen door, saying, "I'm so bored bored bored". The next panel shows him flattened between the doors as an oblivious Jon bursts through. To which, Garfield says, "I'm in pain pain pain".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (huy716 @ Mar. 28 2006,9:40)]Does any one have a slight idea on what the nep might be?
My very first nep was from Home Depot and it turned out to be a xcoccinea which looks a lot like yours.

Well, if it is from Gubler, and it does look like the ones I got from them 6 years ago at Home Depot, the "Theory" is that it is maxima x alata, and it sure does grow pretty easily, but we will never know for sure. Check out this thread for more pics and discussion:
Home Depot Hybrid

I agree with the coccinea ID. Especially if it's a smaller plant. Look at the pitcher shape.

-D. Lybrand

srduggins: I just looked at that other thread and I'm not sure which pictures you are saying look like this hybrid. The ones with lowers look very different in all respects to me.

-D. Lybrand

There aren't really any lowers in there. Only intermediates and uppers. I'll see if I can get some lower pitchers posted later today.

Well, here are pics of my lowers. They do look a little different.
P1000190.jpg

From the picture, it does look different in the way that mine have bigger red speckle which seemed be be more enlongated than your. On the other hand, your have more red speckle and rounder, but really we have to put the 2 plants together side by side for comparision to really know how similar they are. For now, they really really similar to me. One thing that mine have is a very stiffed and thicken tendrill but your probably have it too. So far, this is my most beutiful nep for now.
smile.gif
I can't wait till i put it in a hanging basket outside.

Now that I see that picture, I think they could be the same plant, although huy's still looks coccinea-like.

-D. Lybrand

Back