What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ephippiata, some questions

those who are growing it whats your experiance? ive had one for 6 or 8 months and have found it to be fairly easy. other than the first new pitchers were smaller than the ones on it when i recieved it, it showed no real stress and adapted fine for me. infact so far i would say the darn thing is about as hardy as my bongso and will even produce a pitcher on every leaf which the bongso doesnt. it seems happy with the 60% or so constant that i have with lots of air circulation.

however ive had atleast one other grower who does well with highlanders tell me that they have a heck of a time with it.

just interested in hearing others experiance with the species.

Hey Rattler,

Well, I can sure tell you never to give up hope on it if you ever do have difficulty.

I discovered (much to my chagrin) that they really are true highlanders, and don't like heatwaves at all.

The growth tip died and many of the leaves crisped up on me this summer when the nights never really fell below 70....and forget it durring the day!

However, I stick to my "if there's green, there's hope" phillosophy, and put it back in the highland tank (last time I try that one on the deck!). Now, six months later, there are two activated nodes, and it's growing again....I really thought it was a gonner, but it surprised me!

One thing I will say is that even in ideal conditions, it's a somewhat slow grower....not like lowii or anything, but still pretty slow.

When I first received mine, it grew smaller to a point where I was going to give it away. I changed the media to live LFS and it slowly recovered. After about two years, it just took off one day started to grow like a normal nep should. I have since moved it our my terrarium into a lower humidity situation and it does continue to pitcher well.

Schloaty, what kind of heat wave are you talking about? mine is getting 85 days and 55-65 nights has been since about day one. a few nights it hits 50 but high 50's/low60's is the norm for night time. maybe i just got an odd one...............

Hi there:

N. ephippiata may be an easy grower, but i don't think it can surpass bongso. BTW, there are ephippiata hybrids around and these, again, can be confused with the real thing.

In general, these don't grow as fast, at least in my experience

Gus

got it from Tony. mine hasnt been a terribly slow grower. my hybrids are faster growers but the only thing i have right now thats slower growing is lowii. might have to track a leaf and see just how fast its producing new leaves

heres the plant as of Monday
da3628ab.jpg

here is a pitcher i took a photo of about 1 month ago
7c8ecb0d.jpg

IMG_2944.jpg

heres pics when i first got it last summer
ephippiata.jpg

ephippiatacloseup.jpg

largepitcher.jpg

pretty dang sure its the pure species

Hi Rattler,
I find it to be a fairly easy highlander, too. For me it's not a real fast grower, but steady. My warmest summer nights are in the mid to high 60's, but for a few days at most. I'd say over 90% of the year my night temps run 48-55f. Nights over 70, as Schloaty mentioned, would no doubt be detrimental.

Following the advice of Geoff Mansell and others, I've been letting the daytime RH drop to around 55%, before he fogger comes on. Humidity naturally rises to around 85% or more, as temp drops in greenhouse at night.

That's my "two cents",
KPG

Rattler,

Durring my heatwave, it was over 90 many of the days (couple of days in the high 90's....might have been a 100 or two in there), and high 80's all the rest. Durring the night, I don't think it ever dipped below 65, and any night in the 60's was COOL compared to the others.

Not good sleeping weather, I can tell you!

im getting one too, about 12", so im happy to see how it does!

I'm also getting one of these soon. I'm hoping it'll do well in my setup! It's definitely a sweet looking Nep. I love those hairs under the lid.

here is the ephippiata that i got today!

88275194O908307766.jpg

88275273O136534757.jpg

thats a 12" hanging pot that i have it in...

Nice plant! I'm so excited about getting mine next month
biggrin.gif

next month?!?! i think they might be gone by then...
smile_n_32.gif

man ill have to go over to tonys soon before these things are all gone, gotta get an aristo first though!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ April 06 2006,7:49)]next month?!?! i think they might be gone by then...
smile_n_32.gif
I have other sources...
smilie4.gif

Back