What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One of my favorite old plants

I have been growing this plant for a while, but it is still one of my favorites. This one grew pretty tall, over 6 feet and doesn't seem to mind being moved around, whether it gets partial sun or not, doesn't fret in the winter here and has a lovely dark, dark purple peristome with stripes and nice sized pitchers. It also doesn't seem to mind the old potting mix I still have it in after 6 years - I am going to repot it, maybe today. I'll let you be the judge.
mxf.jpg
maxuscaflash2.jpg
maxuscaup.jpg

What are some of your old tried and true favorites, and why do you like them so much.

Steve,
Do you think those two parents are the same as N. x 'Gentle'? Your photos looks similar to what I have seen of 'Gentle'.
BTW, your plant is a true winner!
Can someone take photos of you repotting a 6' tall nep, lol?

Cheers,

Joe

do dont because by then you have already made cuttings....

I don't think it is the same as 'Gentle' as this came from Phill Mann in Australia. Also, it seems much darker, higher neck on the peristome and less rounding on the peristome mouth than the other 'Gentle's I have seen.

Yes, it is no longer 6'+ tall as several cuttings have been taken. I am thinking about taking a few more before I repot, maybe even hacking off the entire vine down to the low lateral shoot. It is so low it is almost a basal shoot.

I was not saying it was the same plant. I was asking if you thought Gentle was a maxima x fusca hybrid also because of similarities.
I have not corresponded with Phill in a long time.
How is he?

Cheers,

Joe

Last time I talked to him was around six years ago, when I got this plant, (among others). I do see a lot of similarities with 'Gentle', unfortunately I don't own one, so I can't do any real comparison. Seems like their are some obvious clues, such as leaf shape, lid shape, leaf attachment that could help clarify this. But most people only look at the pitchers.

Great set of photos, Steve. The pitchers have interesting form and great colors. Nice plant!
KPG

awesome plant, im a sucker for purple and striped peristromes

Beautiful plant. Did the cutting you sent me awhile back come from that plant?

I have sent a few cuttings out. If I called it maxima x fusca, then it is this plant.

Back