User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: FOTO feeding Nep. TRUNCATA with FISH !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For this insult, dlybrand, I apologize, but i was just too shocked about this whole situation.
    This changes nothing on my point of view on feeding living fish, for me it is wrong and cruel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Goldi @ April 08 2006,5:19)]For this insult, dlybrand, I apologize, but i was just too shocked about this whole situation.
    This changes nothing on my point of view on feeding living fish, for me it is wrong and cruel.
    Quote[/b] ]you know, im not trying to bash anyone, after all its just a point of veiw right?
    and thats fine, i respect that....
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to break it to those labelling fish "higher lifeforms"... but fish aren't wired to feel pain. It's all just an involuntary stimulous response. They don't require fear and trauma to avoid damage... their brain simply tells their body to evade and it happens, without resistance. They and other simple lifeforms are basically organic robots, programmed with DNA.

Conscious beings like us need more than just a signal from the brain to stop ourselves from doing something stupid, and thus pain enters the evolutionary picture. And of course we start anthropomorphizing and assume that if we feel pain, everything must. But consciousness is a relatively recent development that requires a lot of hardware and a lot of energy to sustain it... most animals have gone on just fine for eons without it.

I think consciousness is implicit in the word "pain", which is what we get hung up on. That term doesn't apply to non-conscious creatures. There's just "nobody home" to experience it.

I'd never advocate injuring or killing a living creature for no good reason (it's very bad for our psyches too)... especially the conscious ones... but I'm just saying... if you're really heartbroken about the fish, you're the only one going through any torment here. The fish certainly doesn't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really can tell you that I really love my truncata! More than the fish! I grow my truncata from over 2 years!
    And if it will grow bigger and nice I will be happy that the fish did a good work on it.
    And the ex fish in "fish heaven " will be also happy!
    Mann...it is 5:00 a.m. and I MUST go to sleeeeppppppp!!!!
    Kiss kiss

Mr_Aga
    Milan - ITALY
    Mr_Aga
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    youre nuts man! GO TO SLEEP! your not gonna see your truncata grow any faster like that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ April 07 2006,9:32)]labelling fish "higher lifeforms"
    I've read the thread about four times now. Where is this? I think peoples' issues are with killing things in general. I understand how it is less acceptable to many people to kill things that could be considered a pet (regardless of sentience) than it is to kill something you find crawling around on the ground.

Personally, I feed my CPs by letting insects loose in my enclosures. If they get eaten it's 'simulated nature', not cruelty. And besides, if I manage to catch a queen ant, I can feed a single Nepenthes for many months by establishing a nest in its pot! (That's a tip, kids!)

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm I am not sure I would want to start an ant nest in my truncata pot, but to each their own. I do like bringing my plants in every now and again and showing them off when company comes over. LOL I would hate to bring in an ant nest to boot. Everyone knows my feelings on killing things already. Killing it just to kill it is not a good thing, but killing it to feed it to a plant, animal or yourself is ok. I wouldn't torture the thing before killing it, but I don't see dropping a fish in a large trap torture. The fish has the ability to breath air if need be so it didn't suficate. ( I thought beta's were the only ones to do that so I learned something) I would say the enzymes killed it. As endparinthesis said though they are not wired to feel pain so the fish didn't know the difference anyways. (I didn't know that either LOL) I guess I just don't see all the fuss. Its not like he took the fish and placed it on dry land to just kill it. He fed it to his truncata. Woopty do. To each their own I guess. Aga I hope your truncata grows up to have pitchers larger than 2 litter coke bottles! I know I hope mine does too! LOL
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast