What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FOTO feeding Nep. TRUNCATA with FISH !!!

Not to be cruel, but you’re reference to people in Africa starving and what not, is amusing. They’re people in our own countries who are in the same situation.

Yes their countries are results of our greed in the Late 1800's with a little thing called Imperilazation. And we should help them no doubt, but our arguments on line about plants and what to feed them have no relivence to the starving people in Africa. They probably would gladly give us as many of the roaches and Mice to put in our plants if they could!!

I’m sure they’re even more controversial threads than this I am sure of that.

Any ways my guppies gave Birth Last night, maybe we can Compare Nepenthes To Sarracenia? Just a thought if I can keep a pitcher empty (maybe sticking cotton in one of the pitcher's after the fish has gone in?)
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Gus,

Just because there is cruelty in the world that doesn't mean that you yourself have to treat animals (yes incl. insects) bad.

Personally I don't react so much that the prey item is "exotic", but I do find it unnecessary to place living animals into the traps.

I see no reason not to quickly kill the prey before feeding, unless you get a kick out of seeing them struggle, but then I think you have other problems.

Regards,

Christer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (christerb @ April 11 2006,11:33)]I see no reason not to quickly kill the prey before feeding, unless you get a kick out of seeing them struggle, but then I think you have other problems.
doesnt this happen for the plants that are outside? dont tell me that you are gonna set it free, kill it then put it back? i do get a kick of seeing the plants catch living things in their traps, i dont see why feeding them should be any diff.

ps. we have bigger things to worry about, hasnt it gotten to anyone yet?

Carnivorous plant- a plant designed to lure,trap,kill and digest prey, specifically insects.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]doesnt this happen for the plants that are outside? dont tell me that you are gonna set it free, kill it then put it back? i do get a kick of seeing the plants catch living things in their traps, i dont see why feeding them should be any diff.

If the plants are outside, fine anything else would be ridiculous. But if you like me grow inside (terrarium) and feed them manually, I might as well dispose of them first. Don't get me wrong I feed insect to my plants, but since your (and similar) points of view have been posted several times lately why not allow another way of seeing things. I know I can't change anyones mind, but maybe some potential growers (lurkers) that see things similar should be assured that it is not mandatory to exclaim "cool" when pictures like the ones above are posted, even though we all share the interest of these - yes - carnivorous plants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]ps. we have bigger things to worry about, hasnt it gotten to anyone yet?

Yes, there are bigger problems in the world. I'm sure we could sell the plants and give the money to the needy or similar to make a difference in the world. I don't think this is likely to happen though
smile.gif
We are certainly privileged to be able to spend time and money on these wonderful plants, I acknowledge that.

Regards,

Christer

Hi Christerb:

Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated. However, i am not promoting cruelty. We seem to forget that "mother nature" made these plants and these have the same right to live with the billions of insects this world has produced and will keep producing.

Another interesting point, money spent on plants may be donated to the needy. "good idea". Unfortunately, we all know what to do with what we earn and certainly if a person has a good heart would make a donation to those who suffer in other continents. However, how much to donate and when this can be done is nobody's business but the donor's
smile_m_32.gif

Gus

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ April 05 2006,6:08)]Josh,
 How many snakes do you have and what are they? Just curious, as I have not seen many that will not switch to pre-killed thawed mice.
 We need Mike Howlett(Houstonherps) to chime in on this(Pyro and Rattler also have experience here), but the biggest reason I would not risk using live mice(unless absolutely no other option), is the snake's risk of getting bit by the mouse. That could cause a nasty infection. The wimpy answer is of course it's also more humane for the mouse to be euthanized by rodent companies than to get constricted, but to not allow the snake to get injured is the biggy there. I have a feeling that "mouse sympathy" is not going to win votes with the majority here.
 Of course, I only have a small Mexican black king at the moment and she eats fuzzies, so she would probably not get bit at this stage(but she eats thawed).

Joe
Hi Joe -

Sorry for the late reply here...finally recovering after several days bog-stomping in East Texas!!!

ALL of my reptiles are trained to eat nothing BUT thawed frodents, for many reasons.

First of all, by feeding dead animals, it causes many, if not most, snakes to lose their instinct to strike out and wrap around the item in front of them. This can make for a more mild-mannered snake. And since they are nothing more than pets, this means a nicer pet!

Second, this is more humane for the rodent than throwing it into a cage with a hungry predator. I don't know about you, but I would much rather just fall asleep and not wake up than be squeezed until I pass out!

Third, the freezing process kills many pathogens, both internal and external, that the rodent may be bringing into your cage. Freezing can even keep you from getting a whole host of internal diseases and even reptile mites, as a frozen rodent would most likely have come straight from a rodent breeding facility, and not been around reptiles in a pet store!

Also, there is no risk of your reptile being attacked by a hungry rodent if it's DEAD! I can't tell you how many snakes have been brought to me over the years with flesh chewed off all the way to the bone, all because someone left a rodent in the cage with their snake. If you are feeding frodents and your snake doesn't eat, the frodents isn't going to kill the snake.

And the reason that sways most people to feed frodents: THEY ARE TONS CHEAPER!!! Full-grown rats can cost up to $8.00 or more in the pet stores; but I sell them for $4.00 all day long.

If reason doesn't sway someone, hit them in the pocketbook, right?!?

Regards,

Mike

I have already seen my girlfriend how she get trough without feeding her plants in the terrarium.She gets Nepenthes that do look like more to palms than rather to plants that do progress with a thick body.
I will NOT give a live rat but a frozen one.But this will not happen in 2006. My plant is still too little.
The trap with the fish was 22 cm. Let's grwo and see!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

OHH FINALLY!!!
The big revelation DAYS has come!
After feeding my truncata on April 2006 with a fish ....now we are in December 2006 and I got some interessant results...
Duting all those months the trap was closed in order to avoid the entering of other insects.
I did make a meeting in my city and I brough with me the dried trap of truncata containing the rests of the fish.
I opened the pitcher in front of 50 people and...
truncata_ex_fish_1.jpg

truncata_ex_fish_2.jpg

truncata_ex_fish_3.jpg

truncata_ex_fish_4.jpg

We all examined all and have searched for some rest of the fish...but NOTHING! Not even bones! The fish was TOTALLY assimilated from the truncata! Wow! Not bad at all!
Really interesting!
Something to say?
Finally I can close this topic! ;)

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

wow.... did it stink to high heaven!?!?
Alex

Woah, this thread was a heavy read... sounds like a buncha people are better off growing NON-Carnivorous Plants here cause they don't have the stomach for such "cruelty"

I commend Mr. Aga's experiment, and see nothing wrong with it. After-all, for those of you who find this offensive, the cat food you feed yer cute kitty-kitty is made from animals who have suffered more than you realize...

I guess I joined TF after this post had died down and had never come across it through my many searches; however, I did read every post in it and find the conversation very interesting that unfolded.

I also have no problems with the "experiment" but am rather surprised that there were no remains at all! I am also surprised that the pitcher lasted that long under the conditions of having a dead fish in it and that it did not rot at all, especially since people talk about having pitchers rot from feeding milk and getting a little bit above the liquid level line.

xvart.

why would you give you're nep something it cant obtain in the wild?

Milk? how often do you see lactating animals just stand over a nepenthes in the wild and decide to magically milk its self into a pitcher? When is the last time a nepenthes got a fish in it in the wild?

w/e though its you're choice.

When is the last time that you ever saw a wolf eating canned food? I don't think the plant cares as long as it gets a source of nutrients.

I think it was really amazing that there was nothing left; it might be interesting to put a piece of metal or something in a pitcher and see what happens to it.

-Ben

<div>
(--nepenthes_ak @ Dec. 20 2006,4:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">why would you give you're nep something it cant obtain in the wild?

Milk? how often do you see lactating animals just stand over a nepenthes in the wild and decide to magically milk its self into a pitcher? When is the last time a nepenthes got a fish in it in the wild?

w/e though its you're choice.</div>
Lots of people have commented about how they feed their neps milk as a source of nutrients especially when they are not in the wild. I especially don't see the problem with feeding neps milk... I think the argument is about whether or not it is humane or cruel to feed a live fish to a nep and not whether or not it is right or just to feed neps things they cannot naturally get in the wild.

I also don't think that anyone was claiming that there are animals in the wild that lactate over an open nep pitcher but it is a convienent way to supplement the natural nep diet without using fish, bugs, lizards, etc.

xvart.

Thanks to everyone for the comments!
Hope you enjoyned this unique topic opened 8 months ago and finally comes to an end!
smile.gif

I also was stunned for realizing that there was really nothing more...I put everything on the paper but nothing!
Of course....I will not repeat this experiment but I really enjoy what I have learned.
Maybe now if my truncata will become really big I will try with a frozen mouse this time.
For the moment this a all what i have to tell.
Thanks for all to all of you!

Mr_Aga
smile.gif

LOL, man, now that is science
Dude, with a rajah I bet you could feed it like five fish.
keep us updated

Oh wait the experiment is over, my bad I didn't see how old this post was...

pretty kewl experiment. I tell my friends this to lure them to CP's. I relate it to my ventrata and tell them that the digestive juices are strong enoughto digest bones even. ;) Especially because now I can say "check this photographic evidence". We need to make a new sticky called "CP experiments" and add this to it.

People are bound to have questions like this and it would be good to have readily available info.
biggrin.gif

Back