Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cedar Mulch VS Orchid bark/Coco husk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Nep potted in it with perlite and clay soil conditioner (small granules of baked clay like grit-also sold as "aquatic plant soil"). All about the plant I've placed chopped live sphagnum. This plant's above ground portion rotted after I repotted it in January so it was on it's way out but the base and roots seem to be very firm and have some emerging bumps just above the rootstock which appepar to me as if some nodes may still become active if cared for gingerly.

I'm sure you guys know this but you can make a more homogenous mix by making a huge batch. I've been mixing up soil in a 66 quart tub lately and it sure beats using the old 5 gallon pail for mixing media.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]IIRC PingMan uses cedar mulch in the bottom of all his pots as a drainage layer and to prevent the formation of anaerobic conditions that lead to that funky sulfer smell. Something in the cedar has antimicrobial properties.
    Wouldn't raise the perch layer? Well, I suppose it'd only matter depending on what you're growing... Meh, if it works, then it works.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who uses 100% ceder mulch on her Phals and they look great. I would be more worried the pine would affect the plants before the ceder, but aparently that is fine too. That sounds like agreat additive to open up the mix I will try it next time I repot and see how things go. Goodluck and let us know if that Hepenthes on its last leg make it or not.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used up that huge bag of cedar mulch now on all sorts of things that needed potting, lilies, brugmansia, daturas, irises, gingers, aroids and much more. It makes an awesome looking/feeling loamy soil when mixed with peat and perlite. Very light and airy compared to straight garden soil. I think it should be good for lots of stuff. I was avoiding cypress as they grow in seawater/costal areas do they not?

I did check the one and only Lowes in the twin cities and they didn't have the Corbitt brand, it must be a regional thing. They also didn't have the Nature's Harvest stuff that I got at home depot.

I'll be a steady customer of this stuff if this season goes well it seems to be a great additive for almost every soil mix I've tried with it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Corbit is sold as "No Float" at Lowe's. I think it might be regional. Cypress is a freshwater tree, growing in swampy areas. It is a renewable resource and fast growing. It's all over Florida. Remember, Florida is a collection of lakes and swamps surrounded on three sides by the sea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, maybe it's Mangroves I'm thinking of...? But there was no "No Float" or Corbitt brand stuff. There was shredded cypress mulch but I think it had been "color adjusted" as they had bags of maroon and pure black and I know I didn't want that altered stuff. There was signs all over lowes that said "none of our mulch is from Katrina affected region" so perhaps they quit pulling mulch from down south for a while?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked for Tren't stuff online, but could not find it, lol.
    I guess read the bags and soak/rinse well. Try it out on those ventrata!

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's Corbitt's website
    http://www.cypress-mulch.com/

They do sell their of 3 cu/ft bags of products, but it's wholesale (you have to buy a pallet of 75 bags- and we're not going to do that!)...

The other day I was at a nursery supply store (UESCO) and just happened to notice a huge stack of Corbitt "grade A" Cypress mulch in 3 cu/ft bags for $4 or $5 each... guess I won't be going to Lowe's anymore.

Keep an eye out for local distributors (or perhaps Corbitt has some retail links or info?).

Also, we were told some Walmart garden centers in North Carolina sell the No Float.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12