What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

odd growth on veitchii cutting

My N. veitchii has out grown his space in the terrarium, so I cut a 12" piece of vine last fall after he produced two basal shoot. Today I took the cutting out of the tank to begin acclimating him for life in the window. While taking him out I noticed Some odd growths, he seems to be growing roots along the back side of the vine.

image68zp.jpg

image48eo.jpg
image14he.jpg

image35oa.jpg

Roots are poking out at 7-8 different spots along the vine. Starting from the base and stoping about 4-5 inchs from the top, and only on the back side of the vine.

Thought it was interresting and worth sharing,
Chris

Blind shoot possibly? i dont know exactly what they are but they are natually corrected. it could also be a dormant node that is messed up...you just never know
alex

That's a nasty little puppy. Though, I don't know what it might be. Could be a dormant node like what glider said.

-Ben

That's actually kinda gross
smile_t_32.gif

Looks like something is hiding inside there.

it looks like the start of roots, i know that can happen possibly a dormant node... on Any kind of plant you try to root in water you will se growth like this that will get white... could be trying to grow roots... I dont know why. I know My christmas cactus did it when i didnt give it enough water trying to get it from the air... Nice MAcro Shots any ways...

Cheers

Maybe you could mount the vine to a piece of bark. Just an idea...

Peter

or even better! if the vine is long enough, wrap a ball of moss around the stem and plastic wrap it till you see roots then cut the vine, then you get another cutting!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]or even better! if the vine is long enough, wrap a ball of moss around the stem and plastic wrap it till you see roots then cut the vine, then you get another cutting!
aha! air layering(well partial anyways)! i want to try that soooo bad on my ventrata but its not big enough yet...:( . the "thing" as i am now going to call it, looks like a hand....so leprechans rely DO live in Aisa...
alex

Kinda reminds me of the movie Aliens, where the baby alien pops out of the guys chest
smile_n_32.gif

Looks like most of the newly formed roots I have seen on nearly all of my cuttings (the point of growth produces strange looking growths before the actual roots start emerging). If this was my plant I would make as many cuttings as I could at all of the points just below where these roots are starting to form.

I know they are roots, but this is the frist time I have ever had roots form half way up the vine on a cutting.

image51gz.jpg

image24rl.jpg

12 inch vine with 24 inch leaf span in a 5 inch pot
image86nd.jpg

two shoots in the orginal 8 inch pot

and just for fun, some dried pithers
image78ae.jpg

image107cc.jpg

Chris

The dried pitchers are still in good shape. The peristomes look like gold on my screen.

Hi there:

that's very interesting!. you can cut your plant further and most of the cuttings will survive. (at least in theory)
smile_m_32.gif

Gus

That's if the nodes activate. I've had cuttings that have grown roots, but have died after a few months because the nodes never activated.

Don't cut it up! Not a nice specimen like that. Grow it up as big as you can and let it flower. Make it look like this.

That's just what I would do. But if you want to cut it up thats cool too.

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ April 09 2006,1:24)]Don't cut it up!  Not a nice specimen like that.  Grow it up as big as you can and let it flower.  Make it look like this.
Is the tree recommended too?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

preferably rosewood.

Maybe the roots coming out of the back are what veitchii uses to climb trees in the wild.

-D. Lybrand

Back