What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. vogellii on its way out?

Hi
A while back I posted a message about my N. vogellii. Since them it has taken a turn for the worse  
confused.gif

This is it now:
N.%20vogellii%20current.jpg

The die back on the newer leaf has been rapid with the pitcher tip starting to go black.

But even last summer when it was at its biggest and best it was not doing very well  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

N.%20vogellii%20summer.jpg

That was after about a year or so growth from a 1-2 cm seedling. Any ideas where I might have gone wrong?
Its been in my highland neps house from the start, growing in LFS mixed with my clay pellets my usual mix. Most of this time it has been growing alongside my villosa, rajah & burbidgeae which are all doing well and growing fine. This plant just never got going. I am still hoping it will pull through but the outlook looks bleak!

cheers

bill

hmmm. From the algee visible on the surface of the soil, it may be your mix is too wet. try repotting, give it a shot of fungicide, and superthrive. That should should help.

er... that's not N. vogelii. Looks more like N. hamata

anyway

I would go with Robin and repot into something more chunky/airy and treat with clearys3336. Shot of dilute fertilizer might not hurt either. Not entirely sure what is causing that dieback on the leaves.

Tony

Hi
Thanks for those comments. I have just now repotted it into a fresh mix after I soaked it in Superthrive. It does have a small root system so there is still hope. And moved it to a light but without direct sun position of the house.

Tony- I got the plant from Rob via his UK distributor as a N. vogelii. You don't think it might be a very small N. vogelii them?

cheers

bill

According to me, it isn't vogelli at all...
Soil seems very wet, maybe too much? Or it can be a problem of fungi...
I had a similar problem with a N. lowii and with N. macrophylla. Macrophylla died, but lowii resisted after the repotting!

I vote for a repot into drier media like the rest of the guys here.

On a different note: What conditions do you grow your N. villosa in? I have one and it isn't doing too well.

Hi Bill,

I have just seen this thread. Two things, I agree with all the other comments about your growing media looking too wet, the algae is not a good sign. Also the blackening on the leaves is a symptom that I have seen in some plants when the roots are too wet and need more aeration.

Regarding the authenticity of the plant this came from a batch of seedlings when Rob first released N.vogelii. I have mailed him on your behalf.

Simon

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fly-catchers @ April 12 2006,1:06)]You don't think it might be a very small N. vogelii them?
Sorry Bill, most definately not.  
smile_h_32.gif

Not sure what happened!  I got many many from BE also and they are all true.  Must have been just a single plant label mixup or something.

Don't have anything like this floating around labelled as N. hamata?
Nvog.jpg

Sorry kinda lousy picture I just snapped off today.

Tony

Thanks everyone.
Tony- I must admit I was confused over the leaves. All the photos I have seen they look fairly hairy, which mine are not. The leaf edge damage was caused by the increased light levels, as it only occured when I tried the plant in a new position. Its now in better compost alongside my hamata in the more humid part of the house. As long as the growing tip does not go black it hopefully will be ok. (fingers crossed)

It wouldn't be the hairy hamata by any chance
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks Simon for contacting Rob for me.

cheers

bill

Bill, I can't view the first of your photos, your server returns an error message. However, I can see algae on the second photo. May be a root problem. You could try a fungicide good for phytopthera or pythium.

That looks to me too like one of the new N. hamata. no way have we ever shipped any of those labeled as N. vogelii. Just no chance IMO.

The hairy N. hamata are proving so far to be very difficult in cultivation. I think everyone agrees on that.

Did you ever buy a hairy N. hamata off Simon or anyone else?

This hairy N. hamata you speak of...Is this somehow different than a typical N. hamata? I have a few N. hamatas on the way this week and you're scaring me!
smile_n_32.gif

Yes, don't worry, the hairy N. hamata seems very different, at least so far. The more typical N. hamata is actually quite vigorous if grown in good conditions. The hairy version crawls along in the same conditions for reasons unknown to me.

Ok, good to know. Just out of curiousity: What do you consider to be "good" conditions for N. hamata?

Typcial intermediate/highland. We have 13deg. C at night and about 25 deg C day. RH always >70%. In our experience, hamata is fussy abot humidity and won't pitcher well if it's too low. Pleanty of light as with most Neps.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be giving my N. hamatas more of an intermediate environment. I live in Southern California and it does get pretty hot here, especially in the summer. Hopefully they'll adjust.

What's your experience with N. hamatas and their tolerance for higher temperatures?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ April 16 2006,11:28)]Bill, I can't view the first of your photos, your server returns an error message. However, I can see algae on the second photo. May be a root problem. You could try a fungicide good for phytopthera or pythium.

That looks to me too like one of the new N. hamata. no way have we ever shipped any of those labeled as N. vogelii. Just no chance IMO.

The hairy N. hamata are proving so far to be very difficult in cultivation. I think everyone agrees on that.

Did you ever buy a hairy N. hamata off Simon or anyone else?
Hi Rob,
I have repotted it and sprayed it.
This was brought as a N. vogelli from Simon in late 2004. It looked like this at that stage:
N.%20vogellii%20orig.jpg

Its rather blurry but gives you an idea!

I only have one N. hamata which I got from wistuba in 2000. I didn't go for the hairy form.

cheers

bill

Late 2004 the hairy N. hamata would not have been available.

Tony

Back