What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deformed pitcher

I have posted this question on antoher forum and didn't get an answer. Two plants that previously were opening up perfectly formed pitchers have started opening up pitchers that are sort of squashed looking, have no "lid" thingy on top, and are just generally deformed looking. I do not see aphids, but I didn't see any on my VFT even though it opened up a deformed trap, so I sprayed it with neem oil. The VFT is outside, the nep inside, so they are not in contact. The neem oil burned the VFT, so I didn't want to try it on my nep. Apparently you cant' tell much from the picture, but here it is anyway. What could cause the pitcher to be deformed?
neppitcher004.jpg

neppitcher001.jpg

maybe a problem with the hormones during TC or something??....

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! not this again! does your Ventrata have like a bazillion growth points and tons of nectar glands under the leaves? if so go here! go here N. Mautante

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! not this again! does your Ventrata have like a bazillion growth points and tons of nectar glands under the leaves? if so go here! go here N. Mautante

disregaurd the first post...the second one has the correct hyperlink...lol forgot to edit it

Wow, I guess that answered the question. Hmmm. Maybe. I have one plant in question came from a fairly reputable person. The others came from a local nursery, so it could very well be TC mutation. Here I was thinking it was aphids! So they don't live long? thats a shame, I have some sentimental value attached to one of these neps. I don't want it to die!

I don't think it's one of them messed up TC plants. Usually they hardly grow right at all and never get very big. Your plant looks like it is good sized and has produced normal pitchers previously.

Probably just some stress at the wrong time. Too dry at the roots or a drastic humidity drop at the wrong time while the pitcher is developing can do it.

Tony

hi, why ppl make this plants?, how they make it?, how evitate that?, is bad for the plant right?.

Back