What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freezer Neps Part 2

cprus

BANNED
As some of you may know, I've puchased a chest freezer a while back to turn into an ultrahighland environment. Well everything was going very smooth until the thing ran into issues keeping cool. After getting it fixed, the project was back in action nearly 6 months later.

Plants:
1 N. rajah 2"
2 N. villosa 1"
1 N. aristolochioides 3"
1 H. minor 2" tall

Here I will document my process of building a chamber that was first developed by our member neps a while back, we owe you one for this idea. I've also added some extra stuff to it to suit my needs.

1) Obtain a chest freezer of any size. I only had the funds to afford a 3.5 cu/ft freezer so that was that. There should be some fairly good sized ones available now for very cheap.

2) Remove the lid by unscrewing the bolts.

3) I went ahead and siliconed the gaps in the interior so water won't leak out.

4) I glued a wooden frame on the top as shown here:
Freezer.jpg

The purpose is to allow the thermostat and fan wires to pass into the freezer without drilling a hole in the freezer itself, which is not recommended.
Glue.jpg

The hole is then glued using silicone.

5) Thermostat is set to 40F at night to give it a 37-39F temperature. Thermostat is then reset in the day to 70F for 68F temperature. Notice the ~2F difference which is normal for any thermostat. Always use two thermostats although I only have one for now.

6) Install PC fan or any small fan that'll fit. Runs 24hr/day to keep temperatures even at all times. This is also the time to add all measuring devices (thermometers etc)
Instruments.jpg

7) Install light hood with timer set for 8am on and 10pm off.
-2X15w Quantum Rod Ultra Daylight 1100K
-2X18w GE Natural Sun (to be installed later)

8) Get an acrylic or lexan cover preferably 1/4" but I only had the choice of 1/8". There were bowing problems when the freezer became too cold so I had to glue strips of wood to the outside of the lexan as shown. The wood frame has its benefits also.

9) Apply weather stripping to the underside of the lid and on the freezer's wooden frame.
CompleteFreezer.jpg

10) Put everthing together. Notice how the lights sit on top of the lid's frame. Not only does the frame keep the lights from scratching the plastic, but it adds extra weight (in addition to the lights) to keep the weather stripping tightly sealed.
Complete.jpg

11) Plug in to run tests. Results are ~68F day and ~39F night

12) Put in plastic platform made of pvc pipes and egg crate diffuser.
Platform.jpg

13) I decided to put in two 4" deep trays to catch water instead of letting it run into the freezer's bottom. This collected water can be emptied. This water also helps the humidity.
Watertrays.jpg

14) Not necessary but I'll be putting a lot of lfs on to the growing platform to build small mounds and hills. This step is mostly for my enjoyment of landscaping but the wet lfs also helps to boost humidity.
UPDATE:
Kinabalu.jpg

Kinabalu2.jpg

Kinabalu4.jpg

15) You're Done!!!

16) Wait for plants.

nice man! for some reason i think the cpu fan isnt a good idea for air circulation, rpm's are too high dont you think?

Found it of craigslist.

What ar you planning on putting there? The CPU thing looks pretty small, besides I think some like villosa get blown by small blasts of humid wind every now and again. Source: Mt kinabalu.
smile_m_32.gif

The PC fan is fine and pretty good to use in this setup.  They are used in orchidariums all the time.  Here is a link to instuctions on how this guy built his cool growing tank similar to this, but the plants are in view while growing!!  Check this out!  This guy is a genious and I am sure something like this will work for growing highlands, but with the benefit of being able to see the plants without having to remove the plants or even open the growing area for inspection!

http://forum.theorchidsource.com/cgi-bin....#000000

That is so cool! I would love to make something like that and just fill it to the brim with N. villosas
cool.gif

where would the fresh air come from, especially at night since the air making process of plants reverses at night?

Its not totaly sealed I'm sure.  Besides if it does reverse then it will use the same stuff it produce the day before.  Although I don't think its totaly reversed that they would suficate.  I read that someplace before, but its not as efficient as the o2 making process.

Gecko I want to make something like that to grow highland Nepenthese and orchids!!  Oh the Masdis and dracs one could grow in something like that.  Not to mention the neat Nepenthes too.  One day.  Did you read at the bottom of that post where he said he uses fiber optics to transmit the light so that it doesn't heat the tank?  That has to be so Cool.

Yeah, that fiber optic stuff is sweet. I've never seen anyone take that approach to lighting before.

Wow that guy has got to be a tech pro. The idea is brilliant!

FC he is using a metal halid porjector bulb to transmit the light to the fiber optics.  Did you see the color of the purpurea?  It has a really good red color.  So I would say its getting pretty good light.  He goes into the lighting in the thread did you read it?  He just uses the fiber optics to transmit the light so the lights are not in the tank heating it up.  If the lights were inside the tank it would slowly increase the temperature in the tank causing the freezer on the bottom work harder.  The only thing I would do a little different would be to add baffles to the freezer.  What this would do is increase the time the air is in the freezer so it would more effectively cool the air before it reenters the tank.  Basicly the air would come in the one side hit a wall and go down then over then back up the next wall up and down till it finaly left the freezer.  Of course this would require more fanns to help increase the air pressure to push the air through the freezer.

I have been thinking about a greenhouse version f something like this.  Imagine a GH made with argon filleddouble pained low E glass.  First of all these are the most energy efficient glass pannels made, but also the most expencive so this is just a dream.  Take those glass pannels and make a GH about 12 x 12 or a little larger.  Then get a commercial freezer unit and put it on the back wall and have it connected to a dual set thermastate one for night temp and on for day temp.  The ultiate highland environment.  All the natural light you want and the cooling of the freezer unit, and the walls are insilated with the argon filled dual pane low e glass pannels.  Expencive, but would be a work of art!!  Growing Masdis, dracs and other cool growers along with highland Neps and what not in the state of GA OUTSIDE IN A GH during the summer months with 100 degree temps!!  Insane!!

The vivarium looks cool, I was actually thinking of making something like that but decided not to because I wouldn't know how fast the cool air would escape. Since I'm not made of money and thus can't pay the cooling bills for something like that I decided to go simple. One day though I'll be building something like that guaranteed.

Just wanted to give an update. Today I put in lfs and landscaped the entire freezer, well most of it, into a mossy forest of sorts. Enjoy. Don't mind the unfilled parts, those will be filled when the plants arrive.

EDIT: Sorry pictures are on the first page.

Back