What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. truncata

Is the N. Truncata a highland or lowland? Can it be in direct sunlight outside like my N. Ventricosa will be? Is this a hard or easy nep to take care of?

There is a highland and a lowland form of this plant from what I gather. Now I have mine outside hanging under some latus growing right beside my ventrata. I wasn't aware of the highland and lowland forms when I got the plant, and it just so happens mind is growing fine. Has a new leaf and pitcher forming. I live in GA and this is the first summer I have had mine though and I just oved it outside about a week ago. So far its still growing fine and the leaf and pitcher is still growing fine. I think it might be progressing faster, but it may have done that had I left it in the GH.

Ant mass market truncata you get will be the lowlander, the highlander is up there in $$ so don't expect to find one just kicking around.

In my experience truncata is really robust. Does well in windowsills and outside so you should be fine. Just don't let it get too cold (which shouldn't be a problem in the summer unless you live somewhere like Alaska.)

How do I tell if it's a highland or lowland type? I found a place that has one for $20 and I want to try to grow it outside in Wisconsin in the summer and bring it in fall and winter to a east window.

If it's cheap, it'll be a lowland truncata. They have been in cultivation for decades. The highland version is a more recent discovery, and costs more. The highland species is easier to grow in cooler climates. If you live in the tropics, then the lowland version would be easier. I find the highland form a faster grower in highland conditions than the lowland one is in lowland conditions. The highland version also has a huge variety of colours and peristome shapes, the lowland one is traditionally basically green, although Exotica has been breeding for colour variants.

Will either one be ok to grow as a houseplant by a east window for either the fall and winter or year-round? I was also thinking maybe outside in full sun for the summer. I'm in Milwaukee, Wisconsin if that helps. The discription says they grow by a window with low humidity and all that. They say it is a highland. Does anyone suggest I buy it or pass on it. I'd tell you where it is but I don't want to get yelled at because it's not from petflytrap.com. Maybe they need to get some of these sweet neps in. It's funny I started out with just one venus flytrap and now I'm talking about these neps. I'm hooked.

Just an update on mine. I moved it back into the GH it turns out it was getting a little to much sun I think the newest leaf was getting a little yellow from the high light I was giving it. I haven't checked on it today yet.

Back