What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't know what has gotten into me but I'm just gonna bust out the credit card and buy. I just want to know what everyone thinks about me keeping these neps in a east window or even out in full sun. I don't want to buy them and have them all die on me. The humidity won't be as high in the winter so will that be a problem?

Nepenthes truncata (They say it's a highland)
Nepenthes ramispina
Nepenthes sanguinea
Nepenthes Albomarginata

Hi JMurphy97:

If i were you, i'd go with the truncata and sanguinea for starters. See how they grow and then get the others once you've become more familiar with growing Neps.

good luck

Gus

im no expert, i used to grow lowland nepenthes in the philippines with really good results. when i move here in the states, i tried growing nice expensive highlands and in a large terrarium, intense light with good humdity, did my reasearch and still failed horribly and gave up. as of now i have a n.ventricosa on a windowsill and growing well. added a n.red leopard hoping it would do well too.

my advise is try an easy grower then move up from there. will save you lot of money and frustrations.

i would look into n. red leopard and n. coplandii, people say they are easy growers. n.ramispina could be a good grower for your spring summer condition but needs humidity to pitcher during winter.

hope that helps

[b said:
Quote[/b] ](They say it's a highland)
who is they? are they 100% sure?
alex

LOL! oh we know what's gotten into you
smile_m_32.gif

everyone here has it bad! Am I right guys?

That looks like a good selection. the east window would be better than full sun. mmm, the albo may be slow for you.

I don't know what you're talking about, but that list looks kinda short to me. You really should try a maxima, they are easy and fun, and big!

Hi all:

well, we should have the beginner's collection package for anyone wanting to grow neps. a pack for species and a pack for hybrids. Anyone cares to start the list?
smile_m_32.gif

Gus

hmm. let's see
species:
yes definately maxima
alata
sangiunea
ramspina
hmmm.
bicalcarata is really easy too, but it just plain gets too big.
hamata is pretty easy..

hybrids:
In my experience I have never met a hard hybrid to grow except burbigeae x edwardsiana, so pick whichever one you like the looks of.

JMurph,

Intermediates and hybrids should do well on or near a windowsill for ya. Some lowlanders can be finicky like bical, ampullaria, northiana, to name a few because of their humidiyt demands. I've never grown highlanders indoors but some may crossover like ventricosa and sanguinea. Both are hardy and strong growers. Try these species:

maxima, alata, gracilis, veitchii lowland, truncata (gets large, not a fast grower but hardy and adaptable) to name a few. Any hybrids that involve a lowlander and a highlander parent should do well. Start off with cheap plants then move up to more expensive plants. Also, consider size. N. campanulata grows well for me on a windowsill and stays relatively small.

Good luck,
Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

Back