Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring pic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh it looks like this old chestnut has come around again. This looks very much to me like one of the clones that Andreas sold (are maybe is still selling) as N.macrophylla some years ago. I have a large plant that I purchased at least 7 years ago (interestingly around the same time period) that produces the same ruffled peristome. I have posted several pictures of it on the UK CP forum in the past and also seen pictures of it on this site from US growers.

I have asked several experienced growers for their opinion as to the likely parentage of this plant (including Andreas) and generally these have been mixed (ranging from true macrophylla to trusmadinesis to not sure to secondary hybrid)

I have in my collection a plant that I believe to be a 'true' N. x trusmadinensis and this plant even from a very small size differed from Andreas plant, the peristome is more characteristically striped as seen in other lowii hybrids and the peristome is not as pronounced. As to what Andreas plant is I am not sure only time will tell (or maybe it wont) but in my opinion for what its worth I dont think that the plant is a primary macrophylla x lowii hybrid.

Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Simon,

thanks for your opinion, but i showed the plant to Mr. Johannes Marabini (who descripted it) and he told me for sure, that it is a N. x trusmadiensis.
    But time will tell,

Dominik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one question, wheres the "hairs" under the lid? most lowii hybrids have some or at least a few "hairs" under the lid...
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my pic I think its probably the same clone

http://www.treesmilltropicals.co.uk/...uly_05_034.jpg

I must admit all the lowii hybrids I have do have some of the lowii charatersitcs under the lid either small bristles (albeit very few) or the secretions. These are completely absent in the plant in the picture above

However if you are correct Dominik I'm pleased with the trade off assuming my plant is of course the same clone as yours.

Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's my wistuba clone. I am pretty sure we all have the same plant. There is a pic on borneo exotics website of something that looks very similar, and it is listed as macrophylla.

hmmm maybe its not a cross with lowii at all!. Perhaps it is a cross with ephippiata! that might explain the lack of striping in the peristome...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

i hope that one of the next pitchers will be a real upper pitcher. At last then we will know

Please have a look at the pictures from EP (peristome collection) or Wistuba and you will see, that trusmadiensis not always have bristles under the lid.

If you take a look at Nepenthes of Borneo (p. 160), and the pictures of both webpages you can see three completely different forms of N. x trusmadiensis.

But, as i said, time will tell

@rlhirst: As far as i know, N. ephippiata not occur on Gunung Trusmadi.

Cheers
    Dominik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting.
    Good point Dominik. I guess it could not be a natural hybrid then.

This guy is listed as macrophylla
    http://www.borneoexotics.com/images/...rophyl_h1M.jpg

Does anyone here have access to a DNA lab? Any CSI guys? So we can figure this out once and for all? lol

Thanks,
    Robin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Robin,

I am regularly running DNA sequencing reactions but unfortunately these are on human tumour samples I think nepenthes sequence data on the data base may cause a few raised eyebrows

Simon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast