User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrg! Only 2 pitchers at a time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My N. x 'Judith Finn' seems to only be fast enough to make 2 pitchers at a time, so that there are two fully-developed pitchers on the plant, while there is an old, dead pitcher and some new little pitchers forming. But by the time the new pitcher forms, one dies off, and then the process repeats. The plant is perfectly healthy, it colors up nicely, and every new leaf and pitcher is bigger than the last. So, is there anything I can do to make more pitchers on the plant at a time?

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not fertilizing, you might consider it. Maybe a few pellets of some kind of slow release fertilizer like Osmocote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Higher humidity?
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine in a hot, humid growth chamber. It pitchers like mad.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It lives in a bright terrarium where its neighbor, N. fusca 'Sarawak', grows like crazy. The temps stay around 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit in the day, 70 at night. Humidity is around 40%-60% in the day, while it is 75% or so at night. I feed it often, and water twice a week, but it still grows really slow, taking about a month to make a 3" pitcher. Tropics, should I put an osmocote pellet into one of the pitchers? I have misted it with a very dilute solution of Epiphyte's Delight in the past, with some nice results. So, what's wrong here?!

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to go on record and say that N. x "Judith Finn" is one of the hardest neps to grow.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thats something you don't hear everyday. I have had a fair amount of trouble with mine, but have always attributed it to environment. I grew it in my office for a couple years in low humidity. It would only carry four leaves at a time, and eventually stopped pitchering. Took it home and put it outside and it does a lot better for me. Partial sunlight and cool nights seem to do the trick. It did slow down in the winter here, but everything does.

I think your plant may be tired from evenings that are too warm.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The N. 'Judith Finn' I have is a poor grower as well - it's headed for the compost pile. It was raised from seed. I heard that there are good and bad varieties out there, and most plants sold now are from tissue culture, I believe. Also have the N. spathulata x veitchii H/L from EP. It grows great.
    KPG
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast