Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or macf x sangui?
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i think i am convinced now that i have an hybrid.

Srduggins, my pitcher si very similar, not to say identical to yours, like Joe sais. I can say that if we do not have the true species, at least this plant looks really pretty, even more when larger, like yours.

I agree with you, this must be an hybrid with sanguinea, because of the coloration of pitcher and the form of the peristome.

FedeAbra, i do not think that this can have ramispina, because the hybrid of mac x ramispina has very dark pitchers, like ramispina parent, though, it can be a possibility. I will ned to make more research.

SydneyNeps, thanks for the info... this is a good explanation of why i have been into this same issue so constantly, i mean plntas that i purchase as spiecies that end up to be hybrids.

Alex and Santos, i am sure this is not fusca, nor copelandii. I wish it could be, at least i wouldn't have a macfarlanei, but it would be other true specie. But insted i have an hybrid, AGAIN.

I am not a purist, i am not only looking for spieces, but in order to have my catalogue updated and correct, i would like to have exactly what i buy... Well i guess we all would like that.

Does somebody else have more pics of macfarlanei true species or hybrids of mac and sanguinea and/or ramispina?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

The most interesting aspect of the macfarlanei, ramispina, and sanguinea hybrids is that regardless of the constant crossing amongst the three, pure species are still produced or perhaps these are just three variants of a single master species?

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hey Gus! Really interresting theory... It would be nice to make some research about this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moving other thread over here:

GAH I need glasses!
    oh hehe nevermind

Can you see any fuzz on the underside of the lid? Lookie like hybrid to me.

Here is the MT N. macfarlanei of a young plant. If you look close you will see some of the fuzz on the underside of the lid. The shape on your pitcher looks more like N. sanguinea and the tendril length is VERY short.

Tony

part 2
    Not sure about any of the hybrids with the fuzzy coming through. Those I have looked at don't show any, just the pure species. I had thought I remember that the hairs are not always present 100% of the time in the species though, but that if they are there then that would be a good way to tell it was N. macfarlanei.

I have a variety of N. macfarlanei hybrids.. with N. ventricosa, N. (tobaica x thorelii) and a whole mess of who knows what from wild seed of N. macfarlanei. Of which only a few plants look like the species with fuzzy hair and all. Maybe I can take some pics. Looking at the hybrids the REALLY LONG N. macfarlanei tendril seems to vanish as well once crossed to something else.

Some other pics.. these are from 6-8" size plants roughly
    N. macfarlanei x ventricosa

N. macfarlanei x (tobaica x thorelii)

edit: oh yeah, wanted to add that seems like N. macfarlanei seems to get overwhelmed and 'lost' in the mix. Which I guess should theoretically make picking out pure N. macfarlanei easier.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    new stuff!

I looked at a number of plants. I did not see any fuzz on the lid underside on anything other than the pure species. Now to the pics!

Picture 1 the ONLY one out of 20 plants that appears to be pure from wild N. macfarlanei seed. Mature lower pitcher. Sorry lousy picture but posted this to show the very long tendril characteristic for N. macfarlanei. The tip of the leaf is just barely showing on the right side.

I kinda popped the lid on this pitcher.. you can see the hairs very dense short and white.. why I call it fuzz ;>

MT clone mature lower pitcher. Note again particularly the usual cream background and tubby shape of N. macfarlanei

Side view of the MT clone showing the fuzz hair

View of the spur which is unbranched and fairly short. MT plant (sorry labelled picture as be clone)

Now some hybrids from the wild N. macfarlanei seed..
    Your guess is as good as mine...possible N. ramispina as a grandparent somewhere.

Another similar one... looks a bit N. ramispina shape but not very dark so who knows, perhaps N. ramispina as a grandparent.

Much more N. ramispina coloring

One with lot of N. sanguinea and perhaps N. ramispina for color somewhere or just a hybrid with a dark N. sanguinea..

soooo there ya have it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great suff, Tony!
    Do you suppose some of the color variants of N. sanguinea originate from hybrids crossed with sanguinea?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure on that one Joe. N. ramispina seems to be quite dominant for shape even long after the purple color is not coming through if the first two wild hybrids are an indication. So it may in fact be that the dark purple N. sanguinea are just dark colored variants from within the species and not borrowing the color from a species such as N. ramispina, as some have suggested. So perhaps the 4th hybrid is just with a dark colored N. sanguinea. The pitcher is easily twice the size of the others and I would think that N. ramispina would bring down the size of the plant and pitcher considerably.

Tony

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast