What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Macfarlanei or an hybrid?

There is a lot of variety among sanguinea and many of them have red peristomes.

<span style='color:teal'>Thanks for the info, Steve!</span>

Here's mine about to pitcher:
p_macfarlanei.jpg

<span style='color:teal'>Well... that is a long tendril!
smile.gif
</span>

Here is N. macfarlanei (?) I'm growing.  The white hairs under the lid aren't too apparent in this photo - shallow depth of field.  
59e083b8.jpg

KPG

<span style='color:teal'>Ohh that is a beautiful mac pitcher!!! I do see the white hairs.... Has it been dificult for you to cultivate it?

Cheers!</span>

It's been a slow to medium grower, so far.  Had it about a year.

<span style='color:teal-'>I see! Thanks for the reply and info!

Congratulations on your plant!</span>

Here's the latest pitcher on my hybrid with a bigger one starting to open. Looking pretty good, and I almost traded this one away.
P1000566.jpg

<span style='color:teal'>Great pitcher Steve! I hope mine will start to look like yours soon! How big is that pitchers?</span>

A little smaller than this one
P1000625.jpg

A like the long curvy mouth with a hint of the moustache. I hope the technical jargon doesn't confuse you too much.
P1000626.jpg

Here is a picture of my N. macfarlanei x (tobaica x thorelii) that recently opened:

macfarlenxtobicaxthorelli.jpg

Howdy, all - Sorry, have no data to add; just wanted to mention, as a fascinated bystander, that I love the pics and avidly absorb the conversational interplay. And, as a totally uncredentialed neophyte, I understand the desire to get a genuine example of the pure species; but the hybrids (if properly identified) appear well worth growing in their own right.

You sound like you're well on your way into Journeyman Nep'er. Stick around here and you'll be there in no time. It took me years till I started to appreciate hybrids, and sometimes it doesn't even matter if they are properly identified or not. Case in point:
P1000662.jpg
P1000665.jpg

P1000667.jpg

Nice pitcher Dave S. Very colorful hybrid indeed.

Setup, good observations. While sometimes dissappointing that you get a large mix of hybrids in wild seed when looking for the species itself. The hybrids are certainly interesting and fun in their own right.

This one I am particularly fond of. The pitchers are larger than the plant and quite attractive. And has the typical hybrid trait of being easier to grow. Even though I will never be able to say exactly what it is other than a mix of N. macfarlanei and N. sanguinea and perhaps something else, I plan to propagate it for release.

hyb4be.jpg

Tony

Back