Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Macfarlanei or an hybrid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hello!

Here i am once again with a potential problem of misslabbelling. I have a N. macfarlanei (i bought it labbeled like that several months ago). My plant is producing pitchers and is doing really good. But now that i have pitchers on the plant i am worried that what i bought as macfarlanei can be an hybrid (macfarlanei x sanguinea).

I have been looking pictures in the Internet and in the books i have, and my pitchers do not seem, for me, to be pure macfarlanei (I hope i am worng). They seem more mac x sanginea than the real species.

Here are some pics. I hope that you guys can help me to confirm that i do have the real spicies or in theo ther hand, if once again i was sold and hybrid insted the species.

Here you see the pitcher:

Here is the peristome and upper part of the pitcher:

And here is the whole plant:

Is there the possibility that this pitcher is trully macfarlanei, but is a pitcher of an immature plant? Any help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could be that or a type of N. fusca?
    good luck
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really feel for you. From my experience it is difficult to get pure bred macfarlanei, ramispina and who really knows what constitutes "pure" in regards to these species and sanguinea. Seems likely that somewhere in their past some interbreeding went on with the way these three grow and flower together. I bought a macf and ramis only to find them to be hybrids. Got two more ramis that really look like ramis, but recently noticed some spotting behind the black exterior, so now I wonder about that one, too. Recently had another macf open a small pitcher and it looks like a hybrid too, but maybe, (hopefully), it is just too juvenile at this point. Yours looks a lot like mine. How small is it? I've heard macf is hard to grow, so if its easy, it may be a hybrid. Here is my more obviously hybrid macf, (probably with sanguinea - just like you suspect of yours). Don't know if this helps, but I'm no expert anyway.

My guess is hybrid with sanguinea.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They certainly do look the same, don't they?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As srduggins noted, Peninsular Malaysian species (in particular ramispina, macfarlanei and sanguinea) hybridise extremely readily in the wild. Accordingly, plants grown from seed collected in the wild will show a high degree of hybrid parentage. In some cases, BE has found up to 70% of some will seed to turn out to be hybrid. So that's always the risk when you buy a small Nep grown from wild seed (and that goes for any species, not just the ones mentioned). The other factor which exacerbates this is that hybrid seed seems to be appear more in nursery and TC material, probably because it is given artificial help, whereas in nature it may not survive.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like copelandii
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not copelandii, that species has petiolate leaves for a start.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it is macfarlanei x ramispina: I have got it in my collection, but bought it as pure macfarlanei....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast