Materials: 2 TC N. khasiana
Set-ups: One in a covered box with perlite. The other potted in LFS/perlite and covered with a cup.
Observation: Perlite box was uncovered partially after a day and the plant remained turgid (firm). By the end of the week, the cover was completely off. By the end of the month, new and longer roots were observed. Pitchers formed are fully functional pitchers i.e. lids are open. The plant was then potted in LFS/perlite mix and it continued growing...not stunned.
The second plant that was potted straight in LFS/perlite needed cup to be on the whole time. It took about a month and several "limp" sessions before the plant can be hardened. Growth rate is slower and pitchers are immature, not fully functional.
Recently, I removed the "weaker" fellow from the potting mix so that I can check on the roots. Not good at all.
The root system of the one in perlite from the beginning.
No need to elaborate, you all can figure out which is which. I have decided that the "weaker" fellow needs a stonger root system before it go into a pot again.
Conclusion: Use perlite for hardening your TC nep. First, it helps to maintain humidity around the plant all the time. Second, minimal watering encourages root to grow. I have almost 100% strike rate for nep cuttings using perlite.