What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some photos

ludwig777

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
First a comparison to show how SLOW my burbidgea grows:
p_Nepenthes_burbiggeae.jpg

and almost 2 months later (same leaf):

p_burbidgea.jpg

thorelii x truncata, waking from a very slow winter....see the small pitcher forming on the leaf and compare it to the huge leaf sticking up in the upper right-hand corner.  this plant really gets huge fast once it warms up and the light is stronger! (and notice the 'trunk' it has formed!)
p_thorelii_x_truncata_ezg_1.jpg

I never underestimate the beauty of ventrata...common yes, but still very rewarding to grow:
p_ventrata.jpg

That ventrata looks strangely different from mine - never seen one with a squat pitcher, looks bit like ventrata x medusa to me (not that one has ever been made). Very cool!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ May 13 2006,8:55)]That ventrata looks strangely different from mine - never seen one with a squat pitcher, looks bit like ventrata x medusa to me (not that one has ever been made). Very cool!
To be perfectly honest, I bought this at Home Depot years ago and I just assumed it to be ventrata...maybe it is something else! Thanks for the comment.

that may be something like ventrata x ventricosa and yes looks a bit squat to me.

NICE PHOTOS LUDWIG!

Like everone else said the pitchers look a bit squat, red spots all over the pitcher, and red on the lower half of the pitcher.

This is what my N. ventrata that I used to grow looked like.
ventratapitcher1.jpg

never seen one like that...looks a lot like alata...nice photo. do you still have it?

it looks like a different form of alata (boschiana mimic?) didnt we just have a topic on that? how if you use different forms of the parent you still get the same offspring with a different look. wiered how that works. i love it elgecko!!
alex

I think you could get that much variation among seedlings of the same cross, but that might be stretching it a bit. I'm no genetisist, (not even sure I can spell it right), but among seedlings of a simple hybrid cross, it seems like you would get 25% leaning more toward one parent, 50% in the middle, and 25% leaning toward the other parent. Of course some species seem to dominate their hybrid children like maxima and rafflesiana. By the way, both are nice forms of ventrata.

Hey so cal. growers, we need to find a way to grow our plants better outdoors in the winter here. Guess we need to increase light and have warmer days. Maybe I'll switch to a sodium or metal halide bulb in our flood lights and try training them on my plants. I could move the BBQ grill over by my plants and grill outdoors twice a day.

Here is a pic of my burbidgeae that just decided to start growing again.
P1000488.jpg

some signs of rajaha in there steve?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

One more new photo, N. inermis along with N. copelandii Mt. Apo:

p_inermis_and_copelandii_2.jpg

Back