Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast Browning Leaves N. x Predator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

My recently acquired N. x Predator from EP has almost all of its older leaves and pitchers dried up. Normally I would attribute this to the usual acclimatisation process but another local grower, who got another Predator from the same order, observed the same browning leaves, which later spread to the stem and killed the whole plant. In his case, the entire process was quite quick - within 7 days of seeing the first brown spots, the whole plant was black and dead.

In my case, I've had the plant for about 3 weeks now and the leaves have been steadily browning. When I shook the plant accidentally while checking the stiffness of the growth tip (and it is stiff), the whole plant was quite shaky, leading me to the conclusion that its roots are either few or diseased.

Here are some pictures:

As can be seen, the stem looks green, though beneath the green part it is brown and woody. I may be worrying over nothing, but being such a valuable acquisition and the experience of a fellow grower with his plant, I thought I just check with you all. Is the Predator all right? Thanks.

Growing conditions
    Temperature: Tropical, lowland climate; 28 - 32*C
    Humidity: 70% in the day and up to saturation at night
    Soil used: Equal parts of orchid bark, peat, perlite, vermiculite and sand.
    Watering: Watered once every 2-3 days, never on consecutive days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I knew the answer. I've had my Predator for 5 weeks and the pitchers have dried up and some leaves are yellowing, but nothing unexpected after shipping such a large plant.

What does worry me a little are these lesions on a couple of leaves. Maybe its just a symptom of having the leaves creased while shipping the plant and later cracking during subsequent growth. Does anyone know what these are and what I should do about it, if anything?

A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about getting one but it looks like they might be high mantinence if you know what I mean. Hope they get better soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pure LFS might be a good idea. Otherwise, I don't see anything too seriously worrying!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any large plant will suffer after being transported halfway across the world. I don't think this is unique to Predator. But with a little extra care, they adapt and grow well. Check back in another couple months to see the nice new huge Predator pitchers.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had that happened to my N. vietchii before which cuased its death. I don't know what went wrong but first the leaves turned yellow really fast and then i uprooted it to check on my rooting system and sadly the root has rotted and it was too late; the stem became smooshy and it died within a week. My media was 100% LFS, temp was 70 night and 80 day. However, i do think cause of my humidity was too high and the it doesn't have enough circulation which resulted in the yellowing of the leaves.
    We can go for days without food, but we can't pass 5 minutes without air. REMEMBER TO BREATH!!!

Trouble breathing? Let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah the joys of importing...

Steve that leaf damage along the midrib is probably from the leaf getting bent down and splitting the surface of the midrib. Probably nothing to worry about if it is dried over. The surrounding tissue looks fine.

Ebeyonder hmm hard to say. Doesn't look like simple acclimating difficulties.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should he maybe snip that leaf off and spray some fungicide to the area?

Cheers,

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast